• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis xyloni journal

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 17 2023 - 12:22 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
This is the start of my solenopsis xyloni journal. Caught the new queen on 12/17/23.
  • 100lols likes this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#2 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 17 2023 - 6:14 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Update 1: She's really active for a queen. I'm just not sure why she hasn't settled in yet. There is one very important thing I need to go over, however, before the rest of this journey. What should I name this queen?

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#3 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 18 2023 - 9:25 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
I know what to name her. I will name her Queen Seraphina.

#4 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 18 2023 - 6:19 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
hey, what part of the world do you live in? Because solenopsis xyloni usually fly through may to september.
she may be a late flyer but idk, also any pictures of her?

Currently keeping •
-A. occidentalis 

-B. patagonicus

#5 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 18 2023 - 7:23 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

idk, it's just she's not elongate like invicta and she doesn't have a square head. I found her under a brick. I'm also thinking she's xyloni cuz there's a nearby xyloni colony.

Any other very similar looking ant species that fly around this time?

#6 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 18 2023 - 8:11 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I’m not sure, there are little to none ant species that fly around december in SoCal. Can you maybe post a picture of her? I’ve had a solenopsis xyloni queen before so ik what they look like up close. (what part of the northern hemisphere do you live in?)

Edited by AsdinAnts, December 18 2023 - 8:12 PM.

Currently keeping •
-A. occidentalis 

-B. patagonicus

#7 Offline 100lols - Posted December 18 2023 - 10:49 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
You'd need a good picture of the clypeal tooth. Solenopsis xyloni lacks the middle tooth that Solenopsis invicta has.

The xyloni near me aren't flying anymore and I live in San Diego.
  • AsdinAnts likes this

#8 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 19 2023 - 7:59 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Idk how to put pictures
i do have a picture of her tho
how do put a picture on phone?

Edited by JesseTheAntKid, December 19 2023 - 8:00 AM.

#9 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 19 2023 - 8:00 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I’m not sure, there are little to none ant species that fly around december in SoCal. Can you maybe post a picture of her? I’ve had a solenopsis xyloni queen before so ik what they look like up close. (what part of the northern hemisphere do you live in?)

I live around Houston.

Edited by JesseTheAntKid, December 19 2023 - 8:01 AM.

#10 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 19 2023 - 9:38 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
To put pictures on your phone you need to press full version, its located at the bottom of your screen when your editing your journal. Once you have done this, it will say “choose file” so you tap it, then tap whatever you use to add your photos, (i use photo library) then press attach file once formiculture has finished loading it.

Attached Images

• IMG_2110.jpeg
  • IMG_2111.jpeg

Edited by AsdinAnts, December 19 2023 - 9:43 AM.

• rptraut and 100lols like this

Currently keeping •
-A. occidentalis 

-B. patagonicus

#11 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 20 2023 - 5:41 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
oh OK!

#12 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 20 2023 - 7:59 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
ye

Currently keeping •
-A. occidentalis 

-B. patagonicus

#13 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 28 2023 - 10:50 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I got a good look at the clypeal tooth and indeed these are Solenopsis xyloni. The fact that the other queens have not done the killy on each other confirms they are Sol xyl as well. Oh, and context, i combined Seraphina with two other queens and they are getting along very well. Not one sign of aggression. 

• rptraut likes this

#14 Offline ZATrippit - Posted December 29 2023 - 1:11 AM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Are you sure you wanna risk it with polygyny?
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 29 2023 - 4:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Species names are not to be abbreviated. Write S. xyloni if you must abbreviate.
  • rptraut and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 29 2023 - 8:29 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Are you sure you wanna risk it with polygyny?

Yes. If they start to become aggressive, I will separate them.

Species names are not to be abbreviated. Write S. xyloni if you must abbreviate.

Oh, ok. S. xyloni.

• ANTdrew and 100lols like this

#17 Offline 100lols - Posted December 30 2023 - 10:35 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Keep an eye of them. I’ve never had luck with multiple S. xyloni queens!

#18 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted January 3 2024 - 8:21 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Update: They are getting along really well. No signs of aggression. As for the egg pile, it is MASSIVE. There are even several giant egg piles. If they do end up showing aggression after the workers come, I will separate all three and let two start over and let one have the massive brood pile. Over all, this has been a huge success so far.

#19 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted January 7 2024 - 9:08 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Update: At this point, as soon as they get workers, imma have to give them their first meal. No way they can nourish that giant egg pile completely on their own.

#20 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted January 18 2024 - 1:52 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Update: Your favorite queens are doing fine. They have two or three big larvae.
  • 100lols likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users