• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Please I need help moving my ant colony

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AdamL - Posted September 28 2019 - 11:55 AM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I gave my Tetramorium Imagrans colony sand and now I can't move the in to this formicarium I made there is about 25 eggs larva and pupie.
http://imgur.com/a/0SeHTqa

#2 Online Zeiss - Posted September 28 2019 - 12:09 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

The easiest way to move colonies is to just dump them into the nest.  If you aren't comfortable doing that, as it can cause some injury, your best bet is to make the new nest dark, humid, and make the test tube bright, warm, and dry.

#3 Offline AdamL - Posted September 28 2019 - 12:19 PM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
How could I dump them with out them brood sticking the the walls

#4 Online Zeiss - Posted September 28 2019 - 1:32 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Well, first of all, only dump them in if you are easily able to dump them into the nest.  Second, tapping the sides of the tube should move most of the brood into the nest.  If you're meticulous like I am, I use very fine tweezers and move the remaining brood.  

As I said above, only do this if you are comfortable with possibly destroying some brood or injuring the ants.

#5 Offline AdamL - Posted September 28 2019 - 3:44 PM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I tried to dump them but they didn't fall out the sand was to wet

Edited by AdamL, September 28 2019 - 3:44 PM.

#6 Offline P0rcelain - Posted September 28 2019 - 5:03 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

you might have to wait until they decide it is a nice place. keep in mind the typical habitat of ants and that this test tube is technically their home. i am yet to keep ants yet, but i feel like once the brood hatches they might have a new incentive to move in, since the test tube could start to get quite cramped.

try to keep the new nest dark and moist

Edited by P0rcelain, September 28 2019 - 5:03 PM.

#7 Offline dermy - Posted September 29 2019 - 9:24 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I tried to dump them but they didn't fall out the sand was to wet

I think you should leave the test-tube out in an outworld/foraging area, allow it to dry and give the ants access to a nice moist nest. It doesn't look from your images that you have a foraging area attached yet. You could just simply use a container that can easily have a hole drilled/cut into it enough to squeeze the tube from the nest you've build to the foraging area, and leave the test-tube in the outworld opened, so it dries a little faster. Leave the test-tube uncovered and maybe cover the nest up so it's more suitable for the colony. Make sure you put some kind of barrier on the outworld so when they eclose, the workers can't just run out of it (I prefer to keep outworlds without a lid simply so moisture doesn't build up and cause mold, or cause the ants to want to nest in it)

Edit: the fact the colony doesn't yet have workers, means it might be more worth it to wait till they have eclosed then try incentivizing a move to the new nest, not much point if it's just the queen, as she's very reluctant to leave her home at this fragile stage of the colony.

Another method, for such a small colony is to connect another test-tube up to the older one, cover it with something to make it dark and maybe your queen will move the brood from one test-tube to new cleaner one. With hibernation just around the bend, it might be best to wait till after hibernation to give them a nest. Much easier to hibernate a test-tube than a nest with connections all over.

Edited by dermy, September 29 2019 - 9:26 AM.

• P0rcelain likes this

#8 Offline AdamL - Posted September 29 2019 - 4:14 PM

AdamL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Sorry i didn't say but there are workers they were hiding and there is a out world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users