• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are pogonomyrmex barbatus fully claustral?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 23 2019 - 5:12 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Disclaimer: I know this will be controversial and I'm not here to start a huge argument over keeping exotic ants. So can we please be civil and answer the questions instead of trashing another thread? Thanks!

So earlier today I made a thread asking about founding pogonomyrmex barbatus and the proper setups and food. The thing is, I did some more research and found conflicting evidence that barbatus is fully claustral, unlike other Pogonomyrmex. Are these just rumors or is barbatus actually fully claustral? If anyone can clear this up that would be very helpful!

#2 Offline Roy3 - Posted August 23 2019 - 5:51 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Arizona State University says this..... fully claustral. Wow02a84eb0835362319b006f3c971ddc5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#3 Offline Silq - Posted August 23 2019 - 6:20 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA
Despite the article stating they are fully claustral and not to be fed, you can still provide food to a fully claustral queen as long as you don't stress her out and the food doesn't provide harm (not eaten and rotting) but it is not necessary. I've fed my founding crematogaster food with no problems.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#4 Offline jcisopodgang - Posted September 4 2019 - 1:37 PM

jcisopodgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDenver Area, Colorado

I think they are fully claustral but still forage. I know Pogonomyrmex occidentalis are fully but alot make it seem to be they are semi.

irl catboy

#5 Offline FormiCanada - Posted September 4 2019 - 2:06 PM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I've heard reports of keepers finding complete success with these ants in test tubes by feeding them small amounts of rolled oats during the founding stage and thus continued after passing that stage! 

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted September 8 2019 - 7:23 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Pogonomyrmex barbatus group queens are designed to be fully claustral. However, unlike some other fully claustral queens, they may leave their claustral chamber to forage if they need a bit extra food. Normally I don't recommend feeding fully claustral queens, however with these gals it definitely doesn't hurt to offer some extra food in the middle of founding, so long as you keep stress levels low.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users