• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Require Hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2019 - 8:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Hey!

I am buying a Pogonomyrmex occidentalis queen, and need to know if these gals need hibernation or not. I'm pretty sure they don't, but I just need to be sure. Also, any tips or tricks for founding this species would be greatly appreciated!
  • Rin likes this

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 20 2019 - 10:11 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I depends on the location, and its temperatures. I am not sure where your quern is coming from. Maybe ask the supplier?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2019 - 10:28 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Colorado. That is where she was caught.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 20 2019 - 2:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Well, I should think that if it snows, ants hibernate.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Rin - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:42 PM

Rin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationTennessee
This is indeed a an important question!

#6 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:45 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
A FOLLOW TENNESSEAN!

#7 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 20 2019 - 5:28 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
If they seem to stop growth during those months I would definitely recommend it. Considering their range extends here I to Canada with months of snow there's at least a few populations that require it
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#8 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2019 - 5:31 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Yeah the one I bought (getting here in 4 days!) needs it.
  • Jonathan5608 likes this

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 7 2019 - 2:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Anybody know if the THA Pogonomyrmex are from a population that needs hibernation?
Also, which one of ya’ll is going to make a caresheet?
  • aznphenom likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users