• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Various Methods and Setups used for Founding Queens

test tube founding queen care setup set up methods

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted April 9 2015 - 2:37 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

A very interesting post. Some of these founding chambers are also new to me, so I linked this thread to ameisenportal.eu, to share it with my friends.

Where did you get these small, long plastic boxes fpr the testtubes? They look pretty cool.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#22 Offline Crystals - Posted April 9 2015 - 6:14 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Where did you get these small, long plastic boxes fpr the testtubes? They look pretty cool.

I bought those from a store online, they were meant for holding fancy chocolates.  I do have some for sale in the Market Place.  They no longer make them, so once their stock is gone there is no more coming in, I got mine from http://www.maplecraftinc.com/ .

• Trailandstreet likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#23 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted April 9 2015 - 1:19 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Thanks Cristals, choclate boxes are always a good idea for founding Areas, especially semiclaustral. I used a "Rocher-box" for my Myrmica rubra.

like this one

#24 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 9 2015 - 1:27 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Thanks Cristals, choclate boxes are always a good idea for founding Areas, especially semiclaustral. I used a "Rocher-box" for my Myrmica rubra.

like this one

Was your queen in a test tube? How long did it take to get her first workers? Were there more than one queens?

Thanks! :)

#25 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted April 9 2015 - 10:56 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

It was only one queen, I incidentally found it under a Bridge. My journal is here, in a german forum, but the posts are all actual, either the sam or the following day.

If you have any questions, fell free to ask.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#26 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 10 2015 - 12:21 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Thank you! :)

#27 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 11 2015 - 12:55 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
Chocolate boxes are the best. Durable, clear and have a easy open lid, very good for outworld.

#28 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 11 2015 - 6:07 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Yeah, you can even use them as a formicarium.

#29 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 11 2015 - 7:52 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I thought I had replied but looks like it got lost in the matrix or I didn't hit Submit...

3mL Syringe

Out of desperation, I ran out of test tubes when I returned with my cache of Dorymyrmex queens so I stuffed the needle end (sans needle) of a small syringe with a bit of cotton, wetted it, put the queen in and gently placed the plunger back in. Of the queens that didn't drown or otherwise had a preventable death, the one in the syringe is the only one that seemed comfortable. The others constantly tugged at the cotton, scattered eggs and died mysterious deaths. I moved another one into a syringe set up and these are the only two alive.

I just received my 10x75mm tubes from lcmlab.com and they are nearly the same size. I may move my only D. bicolor queen to it, as she's been a cotton tugging, egg eating brat. It seems that Dorymyrmex queens really prefer having a ceiling. All the OG queens dug a cavern out of the cotton (which inevitably leads to flooding).

• Myrmicinae likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#30 Offline Subverted - Posted April 21 2015 - 10:25 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I have had really terrible luck with starting out Camponotus queens in test tubes...so this time I decided to try something different. What do you guys think about these setups for starting off queens? I stuck the Dorymyrmex in one just to see what happens. These are pretty simple and easy to make, the only materials needed are wood and 2 glass slides.

23a35f311c8ea425b60200bf39474c2d.jpg

• RayBuc likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#31 Offline Crystals - Posted April 21 2015 - 10:50 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Those look neat.  I assume you are watering the cotton to provide water and humidity?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#32 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 21 2015 - 11:17 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Did you use a router to make the chambers? What kind of wood is that? I like them

#33 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 21 2015 - 11:20 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Looks awesome, I think they would appreciate having wood underneath. Did you find the Camponotus locally?

Did you use a router to make the chambers? What kind of wood is that? I like them

I was about to ask the same! 

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#34 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted April 21 2015 - 11:21 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Nice!

Edited by Jonathan21700, April 21 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#35 Offline Subverted - Posted April 21 2015 - 12:04 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

To answer (hopefully) everyones questions:

- Yes, the cotton is where I water them. The design still needs work...some of these dry out pretty quick but adding more water takes only a few seconds twice a day.

- I used a drill press (plus cross slide table) with a forstner bit. The paths between chambers I made with a chisel.

- The wood is sycamore.

- The Camponotus queens are all local. I was actually looking for Scolopendra polymorpha under rocks, but I have found queens in that spot before so these were not a total surprise.

Let me know if there are any other questions! I'm hoping these work out well, so far the queens pretty calm even when moving them around for adding water.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#36 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 21 2015 - 8:39 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

My founding setup for my Myrmecocystus testaceus queen. It seems successful, as she has a large ball of eggs.

What is that container? How did you keep the Hydrostone from cracking it? How do you hydrate it?

Tagging along, what container is that?

- The Camponotus queens are all local. I was actually looking for Scolopendra polymorpha under rocks, but I have found queens in that spot before so these were not a total surprise.

A bit off topic - mind sharing the exact spot you found them? Camponotus is high on my wanted list for the year!

#37 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 22 2015 - 9:41 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

My founding setup for my Myrmecocystus testaceus queen. It seems successful, as she has a large ball of eggs.

What is that container? How did you keep the Hydrostone from cracking it? How do you hydrate it?

Tagging along, what container is that?

Just a plastic snap-cap vial. 

#38 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 12 2015 - 5:04 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I think I saw this style on Tarheel Ants, so I can't take credit for it.  I used CastinCraft molding putty and some herp sand I baked to sterilize.  I got it to adhere with watered down elmers glue.  I'd love a better suggestion though because it didn't work very well as you can see.

DSC00923_zpsruxlbxbc.jpgDSC00924_zpsgji9yuk0.jpg

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#39 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 12 2015 - 6:05 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Why dot ordinary silicone? Or maybe hot glue?

#40 Offline Miles - Posted May 12 2015 - 6:11 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Wow. Love all the creativity in this thread!Love how natural the "Wood with glass on top" looks.
Think I'm gonna have to try that with my next queen.

This will only work for some species. Be aware that whatever queens you use that method with, they will have lower moisture within the chamber than a typical soil claustral chamber.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: test tube, founding, queen, care, setup, set up, methods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users