• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brood boosted colony not accepting protein

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted August 30 2019 - 5:50 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

As the title says I cannot get my brood boosted colony to accept any form of protein. So far I have tried hard-boiled egg yolk, fruit flies and a housefly. These were all offered dead to the ants but not as much as a single worker touched it. They instantly rejected the fruit fly and around 20 minutes later I found it in their trash pile. They only had around 2 larvae before I added more in so could unacceptance be a possibility?

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 30 2019 - 9:45 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The thing is that small colonies don't need very much food.  So you might offer the same food items a week later and find that they are receptive to them.  Just keep trying every few days and ensure the colony has access to water and a sugar solution at all times.

It would also help if you listed the species.

Edited by drtrmiller, August 30 2019 - 9:52 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted August 30 2019 - 10:21 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

The thing is that small colonies don't need very much food.  So you might offer the same food items a week later and find that they are receptive to them.  Just keep trying every few days and ensure the colony has access to water and a sugar solution at all times.

It would also help if you listed the species.

I don't what species exactly but it is a lasius colony that was found in the forest near my house. The colony loves their sugars and will finish or almost finish what I give them. I feed them a drop of syrup every 3-4 days. Could I try putting a tiny bit of syrup on a fruit fly to attract more workers and hopefully they might carry it back to the larvae?

#4 Offline Oddyseous - Posted August 31 2019 - 4:13 AM

Oddyseous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMissouri

I had decent luck with mixing raw egg and honey into one sweet protein blasted goo. 

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 31 2019 - 4:27 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Could I try putting a tiny bit of syrup on a fruit fly to attract more workers and hopefully they might carry it back to the larvae?

Ants are not toddlers.  They don't need a spoonful of sugar to make the fruit fly go down.

Not being receptive to a food like a fruit fly simply means they don't want that food right now.  As long as the colony is generally in good health, they may be receptive to these foods at a later date.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline Canadant - Posted August 31 2019 - 3:18 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I had decent luck with mixing raw egg and honey into one sweet protein blasted goo. 

Oddyseous, did that keep a while or was it a once and done thing? It just struck me as such a good idea. I'll definitely be doing it. Thanks!

"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#7 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted August 31 2019 - 3:35 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

I tried this today and it worked like a charm. The workers found it almost instantly and got to work drinking as much as they could. Not only did the colony get some yummy protein syrup but I got to make some scrambled eggs out of the remaining egg insides! This helped me a lot. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users