• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hurricane advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shifty189 - Posted August 29 2019 - 4:02 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Hi Everyone! I live in south Florida, just east of Okeechobee. For anyone with experience keeping ants during a hurricane, please help. I'm now expected to get a direct hit from a category 4 storm, and am forced to leave my home for a stronger house to ride it out. Now this topic isn't about hurricane preparedness as i have that already under control. I even added some emergency supply's for any ants i'm keeping in the form of sugar and frozen crickets, but it occures to me that i have no idea what i should be doing with my colony during the storm. At the moment I only have a single queen with a few eggs just getting started in your basic (glass) test tube setup, but I'm curious about a developed colony in a formacarion as well.

If anyone has any advice or experience in this situation, your input would be greatly appreciated. and for anyone down here in Florida with me, Best of luck to you, and be safe!

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 29 2019 - 4:07 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I don't know much about keeping ants during a hurricane, but after a hurricane is actually a great time to look for more ants because of all the scattered plant debris, which can sometimes contain cool species like pseudomyrmex gracillis. Simply break open fallen sticks or twigs and you could find colonies!
  • Shifty189 likes this

#3 Offline Shifty189 - Posted August 29 2019 - 4:15 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

I bet that's true! but for me i would rather not keep a once wild colony. all from a single queen for me :) but thanks for your input.

• ANTdrew likes this

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 29 2019 - 4:32 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I bet that's true! but for me i would rather not keep a once wild colony. all from a single queen for me :) but thanks for your input.

I understand that, though I would like to let you know that the species I mentioned (pseudomyrmex gracilis) is extremely difficult to raise from a single queen, so it may be your only chance to obtain a successful colony.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 30 2019 - 6:21 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I would just keep them as safe as you possibly can. Maybe you could put them in a box with some kind of padding so they don’t roll around and to kind of cushion them I guess? I don’t know.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 30 2019 - 9:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I truly wish more people felt the same way!
  • Shifty189 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Shifty189 - Posted August 30 2019 - 8:56 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

I would just keep them as safe as you possibly can. Maybe you could put them in a box with some kind of padding so they don’t roll around and to kind of cushion them I guess? I don’t know.

I'm going to be taking it in with me. It might be a bit cold for them before we loose power, but i think that's my best bet. I am a bit concerned about the pressure and possible negative effects on the young queen and her eggs.

#8 Offline Shifty189 - Posted August 30 2019 - 9:03 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

I truly wish more people felt the same way!

it takes all kinds, and i always try and remember that. I was raised by some hippies so have a very open mind. I just can't justify to myself (let alone my mother) taking a wild animal of any kind into captivity. Ants might be even worse than others since they roam so much in the wild, and tend to be very restricted in captivity. I justify this in my mind if every member of the colony has only know the provided space except the queen.

What i'm trying to say is i feel very strongly about things like this, but understand that its sometimes necessary. as with all things, as long as respect is shown i have no option other then my personal preferences. 

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users