• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strumigenys in Wisconsin

strumigenys wisconsin anting cryptic

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted August 30 2019 - 10:19 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I have heard that Strumigenys can be found in Wisconsin, though I have never seen them myself. Which species occur and how might I find them? I have an idea on how to house cryptic ants, basically a large hydrostone nest with lots of small chambers and no outworld, populated by springtails. Of course I actually have to find the appropriate ants before I can test this.

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, August 30 2019 - 10:20 AM.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 30 2019 - 10:33 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Strumigenys spp. do not occur in Wisconsin.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted August 30 2019 - 10:42 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

They don't show up on AntMaps, but AnthonyP163 has found them in Wisconsin. It's not surprising, S. pergandei and others live in almost all the surrounding states, and Wisconsin has very poor documentation of its ant fauna.

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 30 2019 - 11:36 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I get what you mean. South Carolina does to. In fact, I just made a new state record. Pheidole carrolli. I will be sending some preserved specimens to the University of Utah.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline Leo - Posted August 30 2019 - 4:10 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I tend to find strumigenys in rotting logs, near other ant's waste piles (or just rotting logs in general) they seem to prefer wood in advanced stage of decomposition that is also very humid. I once found a 4q 30w colony of strumigenys nesting in a piece pf piping filled with soil, a brachyponera colony was living underneath it, and on the other end of the pipe, a colony of leptogenys,

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 30 2019 - 5:48 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I tend to find strumigenys in rotting logs, near other ant's waste piles (or just rotting logs in general) they seem to prefer wood in advanced stage of decomposition that is also very humid. I once found a 4q 30w colony of strumigenys nesting in a piece pf piping filled with soil, a brachyponera colony was living underneath it, and on the other end of the pipe, a colony of leptogenys,

This is why the US is one of the least diverse places for anting, excluding Texas, Florida, and kin.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 30 2019 - 6:23 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

This is why the US is one of the least diverse places for anting, excluding Texas, Florida, and kin.

Yeah, well we have Myrmecocystus!  :D

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline Leo - Posted August 30 2019 - 7:48 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

And leafcutters!!!

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 30 2019 - 8:05 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

And leafcutters!!!

Leafcutters are found elsewhere, but myrmecocystus is certainly unique. Still inferior compared to foreign myrmecines, ponerines, amblyopones, etc. My opinion though.

#10 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 31 2019 - 5:56 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Yeah the US kinda sucks for antkeeping imo but its fun when you can get a queen, I have found a large colony of strumigenys when I was digging up some formica brood for a parasite I had but I didn't know what they were so I PUT THEM BACK and i have found strumigenys twice near the same nest and to me it seems they like nesting near living trees and in other ant nests

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 31 2019 - 6:03 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
We also have Pheidole rhea. And abundant Prenolepis.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 31 2019 - 9:13 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

We also have Pheidole rhea. And abundant Prenolepis.

Penolepsis is kind boring for me, besides being good for winters

#13 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 31 2019 - 9:14 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I have heard that Strumigenys can be found in Wisconsin, though I have never seen them myself. Which species occur and how might I find them? I have an idea on how to house cryptic ants, basically a large hydrostone nest with lots of small chambers and no outworld, populated by springtails. Of course I actually have to find the appropriate ants before I can test this.

The Strumigenys I have found have all been underneath rocks or logs, either during light rain or after. They like humidity and moisture. I was told to look for them where springtails are. 

Worker specimens that I have sent to Dr. Guenard have been imaged and a match couldn't be found yet. It's a possibility that it's a new species but nothing is for sure yet. 

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 31 2019 - 9:15 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The Strumigenys I have found have all been underneath rocks or logs, either during light rain or after. They like humidity and moisture. I was told to look for them where springtails are. 

Worker specimens that I have sent to Dr. Guenard have been imaged and a match couldn't be found yet. It's a possibility that it's a new species but nothing is for sure yet. 

That's cool. Tell us when a conclusion is reached

#15 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted August 31 2019 - 1:54 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Oh wow. Did they have long or short mandibles?

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 31 2019 - 1:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

And leafcutters!!!

Leafcutters are found elsewhere, but myrmecocystus is certainly unique. Still inferior compared to foreign myrmecines, ponerines, amblyopones, etc. My opinion though.

Myrmecocystus may be unique, yet 'honey pot ants' can be found elsewhere.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 31 2019 - 1:58 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

What about Arizona and California?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#18 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted August 31 2019 - 2:04 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

The U.S. isn't bad for anting, I love the ants I can find in my state!

Edited by Antennal_Scrobe, August 31 2019 - 2:05 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Currently keeping:

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 31 2019 - 2:10 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yeah. Stigmatomma is SOO boring. (n)

• TennesseeAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 31 2019 - 2:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Europe is pretty much the same as here, so we're not the only ones who have 'bad anting'.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strumigenys, wisconsin, anting, cryptic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users