• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis molesta Care?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 28 2019 - 8:39 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I have the following questions about their care:

Temp/humidity?

Escape barrier?

Nest type?

#2 Offline Shifty189 - Posted August 29 2019 - 6:56 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

don't know about S. Molesta, but i have kept S. Invicta so if they are alike (as i think they are) this should be useful

i kept mine at an average of 71.5 F and 76.9% avg humidity. they loved it and grew like crazy!

I used PTFE on plastic as there barrier. It worked very well. the problem was they outsmarted me. they are insistent and will ALWAYS try to escape no matter the cost once they grow in numbers. My advice would be to use a very large outworld and use no less than two different layers of PTFE. Apply it to scotch tape on the sides so when it starts to loose its effectiveness you can just pull off the tape and reapply.

I kept mine in acrylic nests. but i get the feeling they wouldn't have cared where i kept them as long as i fed them.

In closing, if i haven't already make this clear, solenopsis invicta is a challenging species of ant to keep. I was only able to keep them as long as i did becouse i'm immune to there sting. i would get stung no less than 5 times every time i opened there outworld. if solenopsis molesta is as aggressive, carefully consider keeping this species.

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 30 2019 - 2:57 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Solenopsis molesta is actually super tiny, but I imagine some of the care is the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users