• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Please help ID

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted August 26 2019 - 4:29 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I was out playing basketball then I found this queen. Most likely it is not fertile. Just a reminder i'm in Santa Clarita, SoCal

43BDD87D B71B 4613 983B 01ED3D73AC95
1CA0E47C 6D03 4DCE A046 E5DB77B2D48A

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 26 2019 - 4:32 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Some sort of Crematogaster, that's for sure. Potentially C. cerasi or C. lineolata. Images aren't clear enough for a 100% certain species ID.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 26 2019 - 4:50 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Crematogaster

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 26 2019 - 5:18 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

C. lineolata does not occur in CA.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 26 2019 - 5:35 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

According to AntMaps, there are a total of 11 records from the state, all being from very far southern California.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 26 2019 - 5:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Which antmaps are you looking at? I was wrong, it does list them, but there are 4 records, not 11. I must have been thinking about the flawed ant web.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted August 26 2019 - 6:08 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Which antmaps are you looking at? I was wrong, it does list them, but there are 4 records, not 11. I must have been thinking about the flawed ant web.

Hmm, that's strange.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 27 2019 - 2:34 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

As usual I would take the map data with a grain of salt, regardless of which map you use. Santa Clarita is a bit out of the range, and without very, VERY careful microscopic examination and comparison with accurately identified museum specimens a specific Id will not be possible

• dermy likes this

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 27 2019 - 6:34 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Both sites are flawed, but I've noticed antmaps less so.

#10 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 27 2019 - 3:35 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Without knowing more about those records I would consider all of them to be suspect. My father during the course of his California desert ants paper synonymized Crematogaster lineolata opaca var. depilis with C. depilis. It is almost certain he looked at the material in question. Based on his work C. lineolata does not occur in California, at least not in the deserts where those records appear to be. I would take his word on the subject above the word of the various websites in question.

Edited by gcsnelling, August 27 2019 - 3:36 PM.

• dermy, TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users