• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to feed fruit flies to ants

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 27 2019 - 8:40 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I have a culture of flightless fruit flies, and is wondering if there is a way to get the flies out with no escapes.

^what the jar looks like

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#2 Offline Shifty189 - Posted August 27 2019 - 8:48 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

fruit flies are poor climbers. The best thing i have found is to tap the jar a few times before opening it. This should cause them all to fall down and allow you to open the jar without any escapes. keeping them from rushing out is another problem, just be quick.

#3 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 27 2019 - 8:50 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

The problem for me is that there is a metal mesh on the lid, and practically all the flies cling on to that

#4 Offline Shifty189 - Posted August 27 2019 - 8:51 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

sounds like you should move them to another container. i don't know what to suggest in your case.

#5 Online ANTdrew - Posted August 27 2019 - 10:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I've used a funnel before. Shake out the fruit flies into the funnel and into a test tube that can then be placed in the freezer. You can freeze a bunch this way and thaw them out as needed.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Acutus - Posted August 27 2019 - 10:39 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Just sit it on the table and smack the top they'll fall off. I have the same type. What I do is smack it down so the flies fall right where the jar begins to neck down for the top. Open the lid, dump some in, close the lid. you have to be quick and some escape but not many.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#7 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 27 2019 - 10:47 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

ok

i think that I'll just do it outside

#8 Offline spartANTS - Posted August 27 2019 - 4:58 PM

spartANTS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationVaudreuil, Quebec, Canada

This is how i do for the fruit fly .

Outside is better,not in windy weather.

i use a ziplock bag ,the large one for the freezer .i put the fruit fly jar inside the ziplock bag ,tilt the bag and  open the jar and they should fall at the bottom of the bag .

The feeding: i put the bag 10-15 minute to kill them. that for feeding my tetramorium ,lasius and very small colonies 

or i refrigerate them around 10 minute they should be sleeping .those one i use for my formica ,myrmica and camponotus

but i always transfer the fruit fly from the bag into a pill box a big one before feeding the ants.

• ANTdrew likes this

#9 Offline yfaykya - Posted August 28 2019 - 7:09 AM

yfaykya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I put it in a tub of water. Open the lid. The ones that fall in the water are for din dins..

• Mercutia and ANTdrew like this

#10 Offline Mercutia - Posted August 28 2019 - 7:10 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I put it in a tub of water. Open the lid. The ones that fall in the water are for din dins..

Clever!

#11 Offline SuperFrank - Posted August 30 2019 - 6:19 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Take a plastic container and paint the rim with fluon, dump flies in. Pick them out individually with tweezers if you need to feed them live, put the whole container in the freezer for ~5 minutes if you don't need them live. Far and away the easiest method to deal with them. I wouldn't bother with flies as a feeder if fluon wasn't a thing lol.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users