• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

she's fine now

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amazant - Posted August 26 2019 - 1:25 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
HELP!!! Yesterday my Formica queen had 9 pupae and no larvae and one of the pupae was about to eclose, today I checked in and found the worker dead with its body cut in half like the queen was eating a hotdog and it was all dry and there are only 6 live pupae left, what is going on. This happened before with one of her almost exposed pupae is there anything I can do? :(

Edited by Amazant, August 30 2019 - 1:09 PM.

Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 26 2019 - 5:43 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Damn, man. Is she stressed somehow? Too much checking on her or some other sort of light or vibrations stressing her? Some queens just suck at mothering, too. Sorry.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted August 26 2019 - 5:46 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Yesterday my Formica queen had 9 pupae and no larvae and one of the pupae was about to eclose, today I checked in and found the worker dead with its body cut in half like the queen was eating a hotdog

This is implying you checked on her two days in a row? She most likely got stressed if you handled her for to long. That sucks though man. :(

Edited by Pumpkin_Loves_Ants, August 26 2019 - 5:47 PM.

Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#4 Offline Amazant - Posted August 26 2019 - 6:41 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
Well when she had her larvae that was the first time I checked on her in a week and when she got her pupae I checked on her 2 days later and then when one of them looked about to eclose I checked on them another two days then I left for two days and came back and checked on them, then I checked on them today and 3 were missing and a worker was dead. Does anyone know why she would kill a worker? Also how long until I should check on her again?
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#5 Offline Amazant - Posted August 30 2019 - 1:10 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
HORRRAYYYY, SHE HAS WORKERS, I’m so happy that she is doing good now.
  • Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#6 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted August 30 2019 - 2:26 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
I had a similar situation. Funny enough it happened when I left the colony alone for a couple of days. My worker count dropped from 5 to 2. Later that day the second worker died. The queen appeared to be eating it or at least testing his head. The queen placed the dead worker next to the pupae, but not next to the larvae. So not sure if the queen used it as food or not. It was a C.vicinus. The pupae seemed to be untouched for the most part.

#7 Offline Amazant - Posted August 30 2019 - 4:07 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas
I’m really hoping this doesn’t happen again but while I was typing the journal I checked on them in there outworld and saw them cutting a pupae and dragging out a new worker which was really cool to watch the new worker is already moving around a little! Could it have been a change in heat or something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users