• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wander's Camponotus sexguttatus colony

wander florida camponotus sexguttatus camponotus sexguttatus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline WanderAnts - Posted August 22 2019 - 6:24 AM

WanderAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHialeah, Flroida

June 6th - My lovely wife saved this little lady from being stomped on by someone at her job and brought her home, and I identified her as a Camponotus sexguttatus queen. I promptly set her up in a test tube and put it away hoping she would have brood sometime soon.

June 26th - A little over two weeks she had a few eggs, unfortunately flash forwarding to early August this queen was on a viscous cycle of laying eggs raising them to larva and then eating it. I would feed her in between these incidents to make sure she had enough energy to keep going.

August 19th - I was determined to get this queen to successfully found and a while back I realized that this species had a very similar size and build to the other species of Camponotus I keep called Camponotus conspicuus inaequalis. At this point I decided to take a pupa from this large colony and donate it to this queen to she if with a worker she would have an easier time founding. I'm happy to report that not only did she accept the pupa but she successfully eclosed the worker. I'll check on them in the next few days to provide their first meals

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wander, florida, camponotus sexguttatus, camponotus, sexguttatus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users