• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Building my first formicarium

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dean_k - Posted July 4 2015 - 5:42 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Hello.

I've been trying to build my first formicarium for my Camponotus pennsylvanicus which has a few nanitics at this point.

This project started 2 weeks ago but the first concept began with Crystal's container and EVA foam. Unfortunately, I was lacking proper tools to manipulate the EVA foams, so I moved to a different idea.

Original thread for it is here.

Long story short, you can see the container and white sand for substrate below.

IMG_1101_zpsngxquz30.jpg

But working with EVA foam proved to be not easy without hot wire cutter.

IMG_1104_zpsqgitvpzv.jpg

IMG_1105_zpsy3ky9qie.jpg

And July 3rd, I got a pooltec pumice stone which I found very workable. I wasn't able to source ytong, so this was the closest thing I could find that was similar to ytong.

IMG_1129_zpsa9wnzthx.jpg

IMG_1132_zpsehckvfhn.jpg

IMG_1134_zpszwshxa08.jpg

IMG_1136_zpsiqplotcd.jpg

IMG_1137_zpsuh8hja0e.jpg

Using a dremel with an engraving kit, I started to work on it last night.

IMG_1138_zpsz3zozg2w.jpg

IMG_1139_zpshuum0ufr.jpg

Above is the first version. And this morning, I worked on it further.

IMG_1144_zpsqza3yci7.jpg

IMG_1145_zpsdotauytw.jpg

I think this is the final version, so I am going to let it dry for a day before gluing it.

IMG_1146_zpsvnihncpd.jpg

IMG_1147_zps35weojco.jpg

Once glued, I am going to pour grout to fill the rest of the container.

Hydration is simple. I am not going to cover the block with grout entirely. The top surface will be left open and dropping water on top will be enough to hydrate the whole block. The block was still yet after 10 hours in open, so I believe it will hold water well for prolonged time.

Edited by dean_k, July 4 2015 - 5:45 AM.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 4 2015 - 6:55 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That pumice looks so much like granite.

Is that adhesive silicone? If it is, you better hope it's designed to stick to plastic, because naturally silicone won't the way it does with glass. I didn't see plastic other than vinyl in the list of what it sticks too, so you might want to check that. And when I say stick, I don't mean the way peanut butter will stick to things. :P I don't know how they did it, but Home Depot has some "100 percent" silicone that actually does stick to plastic really well.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#3 Offline dean_k - Posted July 4 2015 - 7:07 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I bought two. Decided to use Eco-bond because it says it's going to stick to vinyl.

The other one I bought is this and it says nothing about what it sticks to but I suppose it will stick to glass for sure.

IMG_1149_zpsvminhsw1.jpg

Whether it glues or not, it's not my big concern. I just need to to fill the cracks on bottom and give some sort of cushion on sides before filling it up with grout. I am also wanting non-toxic one which Eco-bond is clearly advertising of. What is the silicon you used? Care to share the link ?

• AntTeen804 likes this

#4 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted July 4 2015 - 7:32 AM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Great idea!

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 4 2015 - 7:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I haven't actually used it for anything yet, but here it is. The reason I know it works so well is because I saw a video on Youtube where some guy put different types of silicone adhesives to the test, and it was pretty clear how well it held.

http://www.homedepot...GE-55/202038071

For anyone who has a Home Depot near you, finding this in the store can be difficult if you aren't aware that they put this over with their sheets of acrylic and glass instead of with all the other silicone adhesives. Makes sense, but not at least putting some of them on the shelf with all the other silicone adhesives doesn't.

• BrittonLS likes this

#6 Offline dean_k - Posted July 4 2015 - 8:38 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I am unable to find the same thing in Canadian version of Home depot. I will just go ahead with Eco-bond. The block is taking a looong time to dry out though.

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted July 5 2015 - 5:34 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I ruined one of the containers during the next step. Well, learned what I'd call know-how, I guess.

IMG_1161_zpspqpo0fsp.jpg

IMG_1162_zpsumgvl19e.jpg

Once I applied the silicon, I simply attempted to put it in the container which resulted ...

IMG_1170_zpsvepomusi.jpg

It turns out that I need to smear it with my finger for a better result which I did.

IMG_1163_zps6ih7sglo.jpg

IMG_1167_zpsxsyb3tqc.jpg

I will pour grout in tomorrow.

The eco-bond is completely odor less and seems to stick very well to the stone. For the ruined container, I will let the silicon dry and try to peel it off later.

#8 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 5 2015 - 1:44 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Why do you need to glue it at all? Just curious.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#9 Offline dean_k - Posted July 5 2015 - 2:59 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

And it is done !

IMG_1172_zpsvr3i3box.jpg

IMG_1174_zps9qgcm285.jpg

IMG_1175_zpsbwwtlwuv.jpg

I will let it cure for a week before putting ants in.

Why do you need to glue it at all? Just curious.

In order to create a seal between the nest block and outside. It will also help with moisture retention.

Edited by dean_k, July 5 2015 - 3:00 PM.

#10 Offline AntsNY - Posted July 5 2015 - 7:03 PM

AntsNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Good job Dean!

I found a large Pumice like stone on the beach last week. I saved it for just such an idea.

It came from a lake Ontario so it is probably just severely water logged concrete but it looks and feels like pumice.

It is very light weight.

If anyone has any ideas of what this actually is I would love to hear them. :)

pumice

Edited by AntsNY, July 5 2015 - 7:07 PM.

#11 Offline dean_k - Posted July 5 2015 - 9:05 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

The curing process has begun and the grout is radiating heat now which has caused condensation. The whole thing is warm to touch right now.

IMG_1179_zpstjqryhwf.jpg

#12 Offline Miles - Posted July 5 2015 - 9:10 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

http://www.homedepot...GE-55/202038071

For anyone who has a Home Depot near you, finding this in the store can be difficult if you aren't aware that they put this over with their sheets of acrylic and glass instead of with all the other silicone adhesives. Makes sense, but not at least putting some of them on the shelf with all the other silicone adhesives doesn't.

This is very helpful. Thanks!

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users