• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnters Pogonomyrmex californicus Journal New Queens!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 11 2020 - 3:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
She has laid an egg! YAY! I have given her dandelion, grass seed, and now a piece of mealworm.
  • TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Froggy like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 12 2020 - 7:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Just got two more queens in Central California. They are in snap cap vials half filled with dirt. I will probably be able to get more tomorrow.
  • Antkid12 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 13 2020 - 6:05 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I caught another Pogonomyrmex queen this morning. I might have seen spines on her, but I'm not sure. I don't this this would be subnitidus, as I am rather far north.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 13 2020 - 11:41 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I caught yet another queen. I have put her with the queen I got this morning, that I found out does not have spines, and they are getting along. They are everywhere here.
  • CatsnAnts and Froggy like this

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 15 2020 - 4:23 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

So, I have 7 queens of this species.

I have two setups with two queens, 1 test tube with dirt, and the other in a snap cap vial half filled with dirt. The dirt ones have eggs, and generally seem to be doing better.

Now, my favorite queen.

She has a huge chamber, right against the side, and, laid two eggs during the car ride home, where we encountered the 405, which was so bumpy, your guts were rattling around. And she doesnt care much when I check on her.

Now, derpy queen. Derpy queen is not good at digging, and is poor at making strong structures(collapsed during ride home, even though there was hardly anything dug). She is also it seems slower to lay than the other dirt ones. She is also rather restless.

First queen of the year. Very restless, but she has eggs.

• CatsnAnts and Antkid12 like this

#26 Offline M_Ants - Posted June 15 2020 - 4:44 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Looking forward to seeing how these do. I caught 2 :( .

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#27 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 15 2020 - 5:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Good luck with those two! I might upload some pictures of their setups, at least the dirt ones.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#28 Offline M_Ants - Posted June 15 2020 - 5:31 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I one of the two is restless and winged so I'm counting on the other. Both are in test tubes with dirt. Definitely interested in seeing your setups

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 15 2020 - 7:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I’m stuck with occidentalis. Not that I’m complaining.........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#30 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 15 2020 - 9:48 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Photos??
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#31 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 16 2020 - 7:59 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

As you can see in the third image, I managed to get a picture of the eggs in the chamber next to a grass seed.
  • Froggy likes this

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 24 2020 - 12:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Pics coming soon of the huge chambers of my favorite queen, and, most surprisingly, of the now not so derpy queen.The pair that is in the snap cap vial has a pile of at least 15 eggs, and are doing well, but without much viewing, as the covered most of the sides of their chambers with dirt. These sealed off their chamber a week ago, and have not opened it since.

My favorite queen also did the same with her chamber, but, today opened it to do some more digging, and it revealed an amazingly constructed two level chamber. She too has at least 15 eggs. I had not been able to heat them, but figured out a way to do so today.

• M_Ants and Froggy like this

#33 Offline M_Ants - Posted June 24 2020 - 12:38 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Nice I have a winged one with eggs and a non winged one without eggs. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#34 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 17 2021 - 6:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

New queens! Yeah, I know, I haven't updated this for so long I don't even have to really change the title...

The old queens were put on a heat mat before they got workers and were cooked.

Went to Huntington Beach Central Park today, and caught 2 queens digging in a small cliff. There was a third, but I accidentally crushed her when trying to capture her... :facepalm:

Anyway, these are in test tubes with sand, and I will put some seeds in there soon, as well as give each a cotton ball with sugar, as they are looking extraordinarily thing. Unfortunately, the area of the park with the small Pogonomyrmex population is getting destroyed by argentines. Just there this evening, and argentines were raiding 3 nests. :(  I do not suspect there to be any more of these there next year, so I better be successful with the ones I find this year. I will be going back tomorrow to hopefully find a couple more.

#35 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 18 2021 - 6:31 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

One queen has laid an egg! I'm amazed at how fast that was.

• ANTdrew and cocdeshijie like this

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 11:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good luck! I’ll be following.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 18 2021 - 6:20 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Went back, and caught another queen. I also was able to find many more, very well established colonies in the area, so that was heartening to see! Might go back tomorrow to see if I can get any more.

#38 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 19 2021 - 12:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

All three queens have an egg. Not going to do pictures until they get a worker, they are super easily stressed it seems.

#39 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 14 2022 - 4:20 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yeah those died, and I still don't have to change the title.

Since this species seems very stupid, and there were thousands upon thousands in the Sierras, I only collected 2. Not worth selling since everyone can get them, and salinus is a much better species anyway, so I'll be focusing on them, however, for the sake of maintaining this journal, and the minor meme of the title, I will update it.

I fed the two queens some sunflower seed pieces, and they are eating away. I might give them some dirt later, IDK. It never really seemed to help much with the previous ones. I'll update this if they lay eggs, but not if they die, to maintain the title. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users