• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Herculeanus - Journal 8/8/19

herculeanus camponotus denmark ants

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lisberg - Posted August 7 2019 - 10:16 AM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

Lisberg's Camponotus Herculeanus

I'm back in the ant-keeping game..!
Somehow all my Camponotus Barbaricus ants disappeared over a few weeks, and I'm still not sure how exactly.

But instead of buying some new ants, i chose to walk the nearby woods, and stumbled upon a VERY large ant, with beautiful wings. At first i thought it was a wasp, i flew really bad and reminded me of a drunk bumblebee in its movements.

Someone inhere wrote "Always keep a small container on you, it might be your lucky day"... it sure was.

I found my very first Camponotus queen, and in Denmark where i live, there are only two species. But rare, and the one is Camponotus Ligniperda, the other C. Herculeanus.

So far I've come to the conclusion that it is indeed C. Herculeanus.

Her is a picture of her, before she shed her wings:

C. Herculeanus

I love the color of her wings, like nicotine B)

Edited by Lisberg, August 8 2019 - 12:42 PM.

• CamponotusLover and Karma like this

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted August 7 2019 - 11:47 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Congratulations!!! Good Luck! :D  (y)  (y)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline Lisberg - Posted August 8 2019 - 12:55 PM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

Congratulations!!! Good Luck! :D  (y)  (y)

Thanks mate !! :)

Since I'm still new at antkeeping, and learning a lot due to my errors - i think I've found an ant, that is so robust i can't f**k this up :)
So first thing i did, was to leave her in a testtube for 10 days, to take away any stress and make sure that she was going to survive her first time in captivity.

After 10 days she was alive, and ready to move into her nesting site. I know many of you keep your ants in the testtubes until nanitics and adult ants appear. I chose to find a more "natural" habitat for her.

C. Herculeanus

Since the ant normally build nests in dead trees, some report that they also have the ability to make an underground nest. So i gave her both options. She chose the inter the wooden piece. Funny thing, there was some green fungus on the piece of wood, which she took with the inside the piece of wood. Now it's growing near the left exit - it looks like she tends too it, i don't know :facepalm:

C. Herculeanus

Here she is as seen inside her habitat. I've named her Hestia, like the goddess of the home and fertility. She has already laid he first batch of eggs, and there is so many more than i would have ever excepted. (y)

C. Herculeanus

Edited by Lisberg, August 8 2019 - 12:56 PM.

• Acutus likes this

#4 Offline Lisberg - Posted August 12 2019 - 11:46 AM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

By pure chance, today i removed a piece of dead wood, and under it was SO MANY Camponotus Herculeanus ants - i could hear them buzz.
I saw 5 winged queens, and I'm pretty sure the flightseason is over.. would they have been "mated" or waiting an entire year for next flightseason - does anyone know ? :)

#5 Offline Amazant - Posted August 12 2019 - 7:37 PM

Amazant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationKansas

By pure chance, today i removed a piece of dead wood, and under it was SO MANY Camponotus Herculeanus ants - i could hear them buzz.
I saw 5 winged queens, and I'm pretty sure the flightseason is over.. would they have been "mated" or waiting an entire year for next flightseason - does anyone know ? :)

Sometimes not all of the alates fly and are either killed and used as food or ejected later in the year after all possible nuptial flights take place or when they start preparing for hibernation.
Colonies: Formica pallidefulva, Lasius neoniger, Camponotus decipiens, Camponotus sp, Camponotus Vicinus, Crematogaster Sp

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 12 2019 - 11:10 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

waiting for next year. Camponotus Hibernate their alates. Sometimes you'll find ejected queens in the fall for this reason
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#7 Offline Lisberg - Posted August 14 2019 - 1:17 PM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

Can anyone say, based on the pictures, if it is a Camponotus ligniperda instead of a Camponotus herculeanus??

The reason i ask, is because i came across this page http://fp.reverso.ne...--40029087.html

Based on the pictures i think the Gaster i too big on my ant to be a C. Herculeanus, BUT... she doesn't have the red coloration on her Gaster as mentioned elsewhere on the internet??.. need some expert advice :D

I can provide better pictures - IF someone can link me the best way to take fotos of ants - got a camera with macro lens and a mobile with a cam to choose from ? :)

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 14 2019 - 4:17 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Gaster size is somewhat unreliable. It depends on how well fed the queen is, or if she is filled with an egg, or a parasite. I can't tell wether or not she is ligniperda or herculeanus.
  • Lisberg likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline Lisberg - Posted August 22 2019 - 2:49 PM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark
So it has been three months now, since I collected my queen, and so far she is alive (which is a good thing of course) - she has 15'ish eggs.. but there comes my concern .. wouldn't they be like larvae, cocoons or ants by now ?
She is kept at 18-23° Celsius, inside a piece of wood which is moist and gets sprayed every two days with water from a mistmaker

Any thoughts??

#10 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 22 2019 - 3:36 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

You still got time before you should be worried sometimes nanitics just take a bit to develop and they could also be some small larvae within it just you don't know it yet

• Lisberg likes this

#11 Online ANTdrew - Posted August 22 2019 - 5:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
18 celcius is a pretty low temperature. Gently heating the nest might help a lot to speed things up. A heat cable heating a small portion of her tank could work or a heat lamp above. Just be sure it is a gentle heat and that the queen can pick her optimum temperature.
  • Lisberg likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline Lisberg - Posted August 22 2019 - 9:40 PM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark
Okay I'll leave her as is for some time - but where I come from the weather is cold and outside there is only 20 degrees at this time ? :)

#13 Online ANTdrew - Posted August 23 2019 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ok. This species must develop slowly in your climate. Better to mimic her natural conditions than to cheat or take shortcuts.
  • Lisberg likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 23 2019 - 9:10 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I find Camponotus queens in general tend to have beautiful wings.  :)

• Lisberg likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline Lisberg - Posted August 23 2019 - 9:44 AM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

I find Camponotus queens in general tend to have beautiful wings.  :)

In general i think Camponotus ants are overall the most beautiful ants - but, i saw a picture inhere some days ago, where someone found a reddish ant with a more triangular wingset - that was indeed a piece of natures great art !

• ANTdrew likes this

#16 Offline Lisberg - Posted October 5 2019 - 3:03 PM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark
So today was a sad day... I've kept my eyes on her 1 time every week, and I noticed the eggs getting fewer and fewer but never saw any large of pupae

I was convinced that she was mated and I know she is fully claustural - but since it has been some months since she laid the eggs I was getting frustrated

So I decided to clean her box, and make sure everything was fine ( never feeded her)
But as I clean I see 3 dead ants in the soil - apparently she had nanitics I just completely missed them because I didn't want to stress her :(

I can see she has a few eggs left, is there any chance she can recover loosing her first nanitics ? I feel so bad over this neglect

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: herculeanus, camponotus, denmark, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users