• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Camponotus cf. anthrax Journal [50] (Discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2023 - 7:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

5-26-2013

I caught this Camponotus anthrax queen May 26th 2013, under a small rock along side a fire road in the Cleveland
National Forest of Southern California.

gallery_2_59_63361.jpg

gallery_2_59_62518.jpg

med_gallery_2_59_306103.jpg

med_gallery_2_59_529450.jpg

med_gallery_2_59_276172.jpg

She laid eggs a few days later.

gallery_2_59_51348.jpg

My original journal was lost, so unfortunately I don't have records of when the first workers arrived.

gallery_2_59_90507.jpg

This colony got up to about eight workers, and then a few died off. Near the end of July, the remaining four workers for some reason ate all of their brood one day. I actually watched them tear a cocoon open and eat the entire pupa inside. A few weeks later, they had a couple new larvae again.

• 100lols likes this

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2023 - 7:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-25-2013

Nothing has changed much with this colony, but by now all the brood, including the brood taken from the C. essigi colony has pupated. The one larva that was larger than the rest continued to grow bigger and bigger, and is now a cocoon about three times the size of all the other cocoons, not a whole lot smaller than the queen that produced it. It's suspected that the extra large brood the C. essigi queen produced might possibly be an alate.

• 100lols likes this

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2023 - 7:17 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 9-29-2013

Yesterday the large cocoon eclosed, and it was indeed an alate--a male. At first the workers spent a while (what looked like) trying to remove its wings. They successfully removed one wing, but the rest still remain.

So far they all seem to be getting along, and at one point, it looked like the queen was even feeding the male.

• 100lols likes this

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2023 - 7:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 3-18-2014

Over time this queen seemed to kill off her workers and the one male, or they just died off and she dismantled them or ate them... I don't know. Eventually she had no workers left at all. Now, after about a month and a half, she has five new larvae.

• 100lols likes this

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2023 - 7:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 7-21-2014

After about six months without workers, the queen just had another worker eclose, with another close behind. Let's hope she doesn't murder them all this time.

• 100lols likes this

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2023 - 2:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 10-27-2014

The last two workers from the first queen ended up dead soon after eclosing like most all the past workers have. Today, after a year and five months, this queen finally died. Maybe I'll find another one next year.

• 100lols likes this

#7 Offline 100lols - Posted August 12 2023 - 10:20 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Thanks for sharing Drew!! This species is beautiful. Interesting read as the queen did not seem to adjust to captivity well :(

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 12 2023 - 3:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This was a 10-year-old journal I just re-posted.

• 100lols likes this

#9 Offline 100lols - Posted August 12 2023 - 7:01 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I noticed the dates. Do you have an up to date list of what you’re keeping somewhere?

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 7 2023 - 4:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I noticed the dates. Do you have an up to date list of what you’re keeping somewhere?

https://www.formicul...s-of-the-forum/

I'll update it right now.

• 100lols likes this

#11 Offline 100lols - Posted September 7 2023 - 6:16 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Awesome. Thanks for the update!

0 user(s) are reading this topic