• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Manica rubida eggs not developing for months...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted July 24 2019 - 5:01 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I've caught some manica rubida queens somwhere around the end of june,a few days passed and they layed eggs.Before that i fed them protein and carbonhydrates.
And later during the month untill now I've been feeding them normally as semi-clastural queens should be feed.
But even after all that time the eggs are still well...eggs

Is there anything you guys know i cam do about this? Its a rly cool sp and i would like to raise a colony.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted July 24 2019 - 5:47 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Are you heating them? Most ants do way better when heated. Manica is also one of the slowest growing ants too, and AntsBC here has a Manica hunteri colony which has only gotten pupae after a bit over 2-3 years

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline dermy - Posted July 24 2019 - 11:15 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Are you heating them? Most ants do way better when heated. Manica is also one of the slowest growing ants too, and AntsBC here has a Manica hunteri colony which has only gotten pupae after a bit over 2-3 years

Guess that's proof you shouldn't complain about the Camponotus taking 2-3 months to get first workers then............

NikolaBale - are you 100% sure they are still eggs and haven't at least devoloped into small first instar larvae?

#4 Offline NikolaBale - Posted July 25 2019 - 5:48 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Guess that's proof you shouldn't complain about the Camponotus taking 2-3 months to get first workers then............
NikolaBale - are you 100% sure they are still eggs and haven't at least devoloped into small first instar larvae?
Yes i am 100%.And in regard on what the other guy said,idk about manica hunteri but manica rubida eggs should develop in to workers in about 1.5-2 months.

#5 Offline NikolaBale - Posted July 25 2019 - 5:50 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Well that sound a bit much.I don't know about manica hunteri,but manica rubida eggs usually develop whitin 2months.

#6 Offline Rattus - Posted July 29 2019 - 3:57 AM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

These ants need a period of time in a refrigerator aka hibernation to develop the first ants, then they will keep developing and growing until the next normal hibernation. Keep feeding and add a little insect or two afterwards.

Also, what setup do you have? The queen will be pleased, if she could construct a nest out of soil, even from a small amount of dirt, it will be possible for her to create a "shelter" near a test tube or between little pebbles or something like that, mine hated the test tube environment so much that the queens did not lay any eggs in the tubes.

Afterwards they should grow quite fast.

#7 Offline NikolaBale - Posted July 31 2019 - 6:24 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

These ants need a period of time in a refrigerator aka hibernation to develop the first ants, then they will keep developing and growing until the next normal hibernation. Keep feeding and add a little insect or two afterwards.

Also, what setup do you have? The queen will be pleased, if she could construct a nest out of soil, even from a small amount of dirt, it will be possible for her to create a "shelter" near a test tube or between little pebbles or something like that, mine hated the test tube environment so much that the queens did not lay any eggs in the tubes.

Afterwards they should grow quite fast.

But that dosent make any sense...Its the middle of summer why wait till next year to develop?

Some of them have larve but some don't that's the issue...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users