• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do new workers have pheromones?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 26 2019 - 10:37 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So i artificially hatched a camponautus worker since the queen was ignoring her. After reintroduction, the queen attacked the worker. Anyone know why.

#2 Offline Acutus - Posted July 26 2019 - 10:46 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Guessing but maybe it just didn't smell like the rest or Something is wrong with it that she can sense and that is why she ignored it in the first place?

• dermy likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 26 2019 - 11:06 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
New workers, known as Callows, haven’t fully adopted the colony scent when they hatch. This makes them very useful for raising parasitic species.
  • Acutus likes this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 26 2019 - 2:31 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The queen probably smelled human pheromones.... :D

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 26 2019 - 8:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

thanks, she also killed a worker that I half hatched. (Still in cocoon, but the cocoon is open.)

#6 Offline Silq - Posted July 26 2019 - 9:49 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

So i artificially hatched a camponautus worker since the queen was ignoring her. After reintroduction, the queen attacked the worker. Anyone know why.

how do you artificially hatch a worker? Just curious i have two Camponotus with some larvae but just incase

Edited by Silq, July 26 2019 - 9:49 PM.

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted July 27 2019 - 3:05 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Not entirely sure what you mean by "artificially hatched," but the cuticular hydrocarbons responsible for colony scent identification may have been modified by your handling or time away from the nest.  If so, the colony may reject the ant based on its unfamiliar odor, in the same way that a small rodent mother may rejects babies that have been handled by people.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 27 2019 - 12:36 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

how do you artificially hatch a worker? Just curious i have two Camponotus with some larvae but just incase

Not entirely sure what you mean by "artificially hatched," but the cuticular hydrocarbons responsible for colony scent identification may have been modified by your handling or time away from the nest.  If so, the colony may reject the ant based on its unfamiliar odor, in the same way that a small rodent mother may rejects babies that have been handled by people.

You very carefully snip the pupa open without harming the worker inside, and gently squeeze the other end of the pupa, and the worker should slide right out (or at least that's how I did it. :D )

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 27 2019 - 5:21 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I poked a hole with a needle  in between the hollow between the thorax and gaster, and then pulled the needle up to make a tab. Then I pulled the tab up.

#10 Offline Silq - Posted July 27 2019 - 11:14 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Not entirely sure what you mean by "artificially hatched," but the cuticular hydrocarbons responsible for colony scent identification may have been modified by your handling or time away from the nest. If so, the colony may reject the ant based on its unfamiliar odor, in the same way that a small rodent mother may rejects babies that have been handled by people.

You very carefully snip the pupa open without harming the worker inside, and gently squeeze the other end of the pupa, and the worker should slide right out (or at least that's how I did it. :D )
Sounds like something I would fail pretty bad at... Directions unclear, snipped ant in half
I don't think I could ever attempt anything like this

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 29 2019 - 10:28 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So, the same speicies of ant had a worker curl up into a pupae position and is now being treated like a pupae. what's going on? The worker never made a cocoon, does that have to do with it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users