• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Nylanderia vividula Journal(Comeback!)

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#201 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 17 2021 - 9:08 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The nest has been hooked up to the outworld! The move has begun!

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#202 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 17 2021 - 10:15 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

About 50 workers are now in the new formicarium! As soon as the old formicarium dries out they should fully move to the new one.

• M_Ants and Wegmier like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#203 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 17 2021 - 1:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

About 50 workers are now in the new formicarium! As soon as the old formicarium dries out they should fully move to the new one.

Excellent!
  • NickAnter likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#204 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 22 2021 - 4:47 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

There are over 150 workers in the new formicarium, as well as some larvae, as seen in the pictures below. The old nest is quite dry, as seen by the ants huddling together to preserve the humidity amongst themselves. This has always been my gauge as to when to hydrate the nest. eventually, they will move fully into the new nest.

20210322 174307
20210322 174210
20210322 174249

• ANTdrew likes this

#205 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2021 - 5:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They look just like mine!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#206 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 22 2021 - 5:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I think your colony is bigger from the extra meals. :D

If I hadn't neglected this colony, I imagine they would be quite a bit larger.

Also I'm tempted to try to introduce new queens as well once they start flying again. Then my colony might be able to catch up. :boast: 

#207 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 22 2021 - 6:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m tempted to try that, too. How would you go about it? Dunking in vinegar?

#208 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 22 2021 - 7:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, last year I found a queen in Central Cali, and introduced it to a few workers in a separate environment. They accepted her. However, I worried that the two queens could kill each other, thereby dooming the colony. So I cancelled the experiment. I think I might try the vinegar method this year though, if I find any queens. I have noticed their population seems to have drastically decreased in my neighborhood since B. patagonicus have become more prevalent.

#209 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 23 2021 - 9:28 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The majority of the colony is now in the new formicarium, along with all of the brood. The queen, along with 150 workers stubbornly refuse to move, even though the conditions in the old nest are far from ideal. If they simply refuse to move, I will have to just disconnect the old nest, take the acrylic pane off of it, and set it in the outworld. I imagine once I do this they will move quickly, and therefore will not have time to get over the fluon barrier(there is a period of 10 minutes after applying where they can't get over it).

#210 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2021 - 9:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

byFormica fluon is effective at stopping mine. I say you just dump them all into the outworld if there is no brood to worry about.

#211 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 23 2021 - 9:46 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Ill do that. I'm going to have an aspirator on hand for the inevitable escapees.

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#212 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 23 2021 - 11:40 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well I'm in a minor panic. I can't find the queen. Hopefully she is just hidden, and not squished or escaped. I was able to round up most of the escapees, and most of the colony is moved in. I also totally underestimated the number of workers that were in the old nest--it was well over 200. I'm hoping beyond hope the queen is in there somewhere.

#213 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2021 - 2:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Damn! Hopefully she is just covered up by workers.

#214 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 23 2021 - 2:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Hopefully.  :|

#215 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 23 2021 - 2:52 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I found her!!!!!!!! So thankful that she is still there.

#216 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted March 23 2021 - 2:55 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

phew!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#217 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 23 2021 - 3:17 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Oh yay!

I'm having that moment with one of my colonies .. but I think my queen is gone... i am so glad you found her!

#218 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted March 23 2021 - 3:30 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

i had a moment like that yeaterday a worker carryed the qqueen into the nest and she was curled up in a ball but when i nudged the nest she got up

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#219 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2021 - 3:49 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank God! The same thing happened when I dumped my Nylanderia into their Antpartment.
  • NickAnter likes this

#220 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 23 2021 - 3:57 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thank God! The same thing happened when I dumped my Nylanderia into their Antpartment.

Must be a trait of the queens to become as obscure as possible in any important situation. They may freak out in a panic with a minor sound, but when moving, I guess they just get paralyzed with fear haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users