• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica bradleyi Journal

bradleyi formica ontario ottawa canada

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 30 2019 - 9:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hibernation already?

I typically place my ants in hibernation around October (yes Canada is that cold),

That's not cold! It's just everyone other than us that seems to think so...  :D

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#22 Offline rbarreto - Posted September 30 2019 - 11:17 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Idk its reached fridge temps up here, especially at night.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#23 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 26 2020 - 1:36 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Formica bradleyi

Took these buggers out a few days ago. I waited two days then gave them a little bit of honey and a small piece of superworm. They dragged the superworm back to the nest immediately and made pretty quick work of it. I came back the next day to check on them and they laid a small batch of eggs. I'm hoping for some nice growth this year so I can give them a formicarium soon.

gLZOdz0l.jpg

UKLLGv3l.jpg

E0lZbvXl.jpg

eOiFYyVl.jpg

Edited by rbarreto, January 26 2020 - 1:38 PM.

• YsTheAnt, TennesseeAnts, Nare and 1 other like this

Check our my store here!

#24 Offline FSTP - Posted January 26 2020 - 10:12 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

such lovely ants!

• rbarreto and AntsDakota like this

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 27 2020 - 3:55 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Wish I could find some pallidefulva. They're around, somewhere........  :mad:  :rolleyes:

• rbarreto likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline rbarreto - Posted January 27 2020 - 6:24 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Wish I could find some pallidefulva. They're around, somewhere........  :mad:  :rolleyes:

I've had both and I gotta say I prefer bradleyi. Their colours are much more vibrant and they are way more relaxed than pallidefulva.
  • AntsDakota likes this

Check our my store here!

#27 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 28 2020 - 4:21 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Oh.... I was under the mistaken impression that we don't have bradleyi. Apparently we do. So yes, I would also prefer the species. 

#28 Offline rbarreto - Posted February 1 2020 - 12:00 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Formica bradleyi

Well this didn't take long haha. I'm currently moving them into a formicarium so this will probably be the last picture I take of them for a while.

CPIouCJl.jpg

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Check our my store here!

#29 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 3 2020 - 6:02 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I had formica subsericea go from egg to worker in 2 weeks for nanitics without any heat, by a cold windowsill, it was nuts

• rbarreto likes this

#30 Offline rbarreto - Posted February 10 2020 - 12:18 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Formica bradleyi

Moved these guys into a one of Drews dirt shacks, I figured a species that lives in sandy soils would be perfect for it. As it turns out they loved it! They moved in quickly and rewarded me by going from eggs to pupae in 9 days lol.

bfKKoBZl.jpg

6cmyqCXl.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Check our my store here!

#31 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 10 2020 - 4:16 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

9 days? Do you heat them? Although with Formica it doesn't surprise me as much.  :lol:

• rbarreto likes this

#32 Offline rbarreto - Posted February 10 2020 - 5:54 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Yea they're heated

Check our my store here!

#33 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 10 2020 - 6:01 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I had formica subsericea go from egg to worker in 2 weeks for nanitics without any heat, by a cold windowsill, it was nuts

uhhh, so I'm pretty sure my queen is Subsericia... what are your ants on? lol, that's crazy that they grew so fast!!! 

• AntsBC likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#34 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 10 2020 - 6:02 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Formica bradleyi

Moved these guys into a one of Drews dirt shacks, I figured a species that lives in sandy soils would be perfect for it. As it turns out they loved it! They moved in quickly and rewarded me by going from eggs to pupae in 9 days lol.

bfKKoBZl.jpg

6cmyqCXl.jpg

STOP FLEXING ON US CAMPONOTOUS KEEPERS LOL!!!

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#35 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 10 2020 - 8:43 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had a queen get 9 nanitics at once within a 1-2 weeks of capture. And that's after she ate half her eggs.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#36 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 11 2020 - 12:31 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

formica are big ants for people who are too impatient to keep camponotus, i just fed mine some mealworm and hopefully they will get eggs soon, i have a small electric blanket that only gets up to like 75 degrees on low should i use it?

#37 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 11 2020 - 3:59 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

formica are big ants for people who are too impatient to keep camponotus, i just fed mine some mealworm and hopefully they will get eggs soon, i have a small electric blanket that only gets up to like 75 degrees on low should i use it?

I dislike the founding period for Camponotus, but that's about it. Once they have workers and I can check on them more and see the brood, I'm pretty content. If anyone is having a hard time making it through the Camponotus founding phase, just remember the amazing things you'll see if you wait. 

• AntsDakota likes this

#38 Offline Lazarus - Posted February 14 2020 - 12:15 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

Formica bradleyi

bfKKoBZl.jpg

Based on this picture they dug right to the very corner where your heat cable touches the box. Now that's efficiency! Cool.

Still a while before I wake mine up. I think this weekend will be my last check-up and rehydration for them in the fridge.

• AntsDakota likes this

My online ant spreadsheet

#39 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 14 2020 - 2:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Sunbathing ants, lol.

#40 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 15 2020 - 7:59 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

That is some extreme growth for such a stunning ant. So we do have them here in South Dakota?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bradleyi, formica, ontario, ottawa, canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users