• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Concrete formicarium?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 6 2019 - 12:03 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
My stepdad (parents are divorced) is a construction worker and I was wondering if I could use some of the concrete he has to make formicariums. I want to mainly make something similar to nurbs pencil case formicariums but I could theoretically make bigger constructions. Will this work and is it safe for ants?

Edited by Manitobant, July 6 2019 - 12:24 PM.

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 6 2019 - 6:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well, it depends on the type of concrete.  If it is too porous, then it might not work for small species.  For big species it should work just fine.  I think it depends on the lime content in the cement, as apparently lime deters, but does not kill ants.  I personally think it could work.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 7 2019 - 3:49 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Concrete would not be ideal as it contains gravel, however the ingredients used in it are safe and are the same main ingredients as grout (Portland cement and an aggregate) what would work better and what your stepdad definitely has access to is something called sand topping/sand mix, which is just Portland cement and sand, no large rocks.

Edited by SuperFrank, July 7 2019 - 3:52 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users