• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant found in CA desert, please ID

Best Answer Zeiss , July 25 2019 - 2:11 AM

I believe these to be Solenopsis xyloni.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BADANT - Posted July 25 2019 - 1:43 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

Twentynine Palms, CA, USA
7/25/2019

Body:
1. Location of collection: Desert field, Twentynine Palms, CA, USA. I found 11 of them, about half were in a field5 were within 1 foot of the street as I walked along the curb and I found 1 more about 15 feet in from the street.

2. Date of collection: 7/23/2019, between 7PM and 8PM.
3. Habitat of collection: About half were found in a vacant piece of land in the desert along a wash. The other half was found within 2 feet of the street, as I walked up it for about 300 feet. There was desert type of plants, in the vacant piece of land. While walking up the street the rest were found completely in the open sand of the unlandscaped parkway. The piece of land was a long thin strip that ran between the wash and a house.
4. Length: 8mm to 9mm.
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Her color looks to be a rich brown, with darks bands on the gaster. The bands do not go all the way around the gaster, they end on the sides and the bottom has sets of marks that look like bookends.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: The markings on the underneath side of her gaster seems to be the most distinguishing marking.
7. Anything else distinctive: None that I could tell.
8. Nest description: Unknown

9. Nuptial flight time and date: Unknown.

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 25 2019 - 2:11 AM   Best Answer

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I believe these to be Solenopsis xyloni.

• AntPhycho and Somethinghmm like this

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 25 2019 - 8:49 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

beautiful coloration, although S. xyloni tend to have a darker gaster.

The pattern on the gaster is also unique and not because of swelling.

• BADANT likes this

#4 Offline BADANT - Posted July 25 2019 - 1:28 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

beautiful coloration, although S. xyloni tend to have a darker gaster.

The pattern on the gaster is also unique and not because of swelling.

I didn't think to attribute it to swelling, but you did make me realize that I only took photos of 1 out of the 11. So I went back to check the rest, and I was able to confirm 5 more with the same pattern on the underside of their gaster. As for the remainder, well they just wouldn't roll over for me...LOL. They are on the cotton at this time, and unavailable for further scrutiny. Maybe they are S. xyloni, I would be fine with that. Either way, I hope this helps some more of you chime in and help me....Thank you

#5 Offline mbullock42086 - Posted July 25 2019 - 1:37 PM

mbullock42086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

looks like the xyloni in my yard the queens i see usually look like 'standard' fire ants, but sometimes these morphs pop up

#6 Offline BADANT - Posted July 25 2019 - 1:56 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX

looks like the xyloni in my yard the queens i see usually look like 'standard' fire ants, but sometimes these morphs pop up

I'll go with that, and it is very good to know. Thank you both Zeiss and mbullock

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 25 2019 - 3:20 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

S. xyloni is a rather variable species.

• Zeiss and BADANT like this

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 25 2019 - 4:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Prepare to have a fast growing and aggressive colony! This is my dream species.
  • BADANT likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users