• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Odontomachus brunneus help?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dominatus - Posted June 28 2019 - 1:44 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
I found an Odontomachus brunneus queen just chilling under the weather strip on the back door. I saw something dart under there and being the curious guy I am looked. I was rewarded.

She is in a standard test tube set up.

Any hints for short term and long term success?

#2 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted June 28 2019 - 4:35 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

put substrate in the test tube. they need it to spin their cocoons and they just prefer it

#3 Offline dominatus - Posted June 28 2019 - 4:39 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Thanks. I read they may be semi claustral? I will have her open to a small outworld before any larva show up I hope. I gave her some sugary oats for now. I will give her some protein soon.

#4 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted June 28 2019 - 5:09 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

they are semi claustral. she needs sugar and protein rn, even without larvae

Edited by PacificNorthWestern, June 28 2019 - 6:35 PM.

#5 Offline Superant33 - Posted June 28 2019 - 5:27 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Don’t wait until larvae show up. Offer her protein now. Fruit flies, small termites, and other small prey items. I have observed this species eating springtails as well. As a previous poster stated, add substrate.

#6 Offline dominatus - Posted June 29 2019 - 4:59 AM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Don’t wait until larvae show up. Offer her protein now. Fruit flies, small termites, and other small prey items. I have observed this species eating springtails as well. As a previous poster stated, add substrate.

they are semi claustral. she needs sugar and protein rn, even without larvae

She has some substrate and insect protein. Hopefully all will go well.

#7 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 29 2019 - 1:34 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
O bruennus is semi claustral and kind of finnicky in the founding stage, they cannot be housed in a bare tube and I find even a tube with dirt is hit or miss. A small dirt set up or tiny masonry nest with some substrate is ideal for them ime, if not provided substrate the larvae will continuously fail to pupate. When larvae are present they must be fed small, soft bodied prey daily. I use flightless fruit flies. If not provided proper food daily the queen will eat the brood or feed some larvae to others. They don't need carbs at all ime and myself and multiple other keepers provide them with no source of sugar at all. There is kind of conflicting information about whether the queens/adults need to be fed directly. I have read that they do not, and in fact cannot process solid food and rely on larvae to do it for them. However I have directly witnessed a founding O bruennus queen eating a fruit fly so idk.

Edited by SuperFrank, June 29 2019 - 1:36 PM.

#8 Offline dominatus - Posted June 30 2019 - 7:45 AM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Thank you very much SuperFrank. I have unlimited supply of subterranean termites so hopefully that will work for them. I think she has all she needs at the moment. No eggs yet. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
  • SuperFrank likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users