• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Oregon 6-2-19

Best Answer VoidElecent , June 2 2019 - 11:39 AM

Stigmatomma oregonense does indeed seem accurate. What a find!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mike.omeg - Posted June 2 2019 - 11:07 AM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Dalles, OR, USA

I rolled over a large (24" diamater) old pine log today and found a huge colony of these ants living underneath the bottom bark.  Many hundreds of workers as well as vast numbers, possibly >1,000, larvae and pupae.  I carefully placed the log back and place and sincerely hope that colony recovers well from the disturbance.

They key out on my end to Stigmatomma oregonense but I want to see what others think.  I would love to get a colony of these going but I see limited information about their care.  If anyone has a link or lead on care please share.  Thanks!

Collection specifics:

Date: 6-2-19

20190602 114135

20190602 113950

20190602 113839

Edited by mike.omeg, June 2 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#2 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 2 2019 - 11:10 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Upload your pictures to Imgur and paste the bbcode link to embed your photos.  ;) We do not have access to your drive.

• mike.omeg likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 2 2019 - 11:11 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I am unable to access the Google Drive albums. Please take your time embedding photographs.

Measurements would be nice, too.

• mike.omeg likes this

#4 Offline mike.omeg - Posted June 2 2019 - 11:33 AM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Sorry on my end the embeded images worked.  But my company has Gdrive locked down to the outside.  I uploaded the photos to a gallery on this forum and edited.  Sorry for the delay.

• VoidElecent likes this

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 2 2019 - 11:39 AM   Best Answer

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Stigmatomma oregonense does indeed seem accurate. What a find!

Edited by VoidElecent, June 2 2019 - 12:26 PM.

#6 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 2 2019 - 11:49 AM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Can you get a closer picture of the clypeal margin? It kinda looks convex in some of the pictures which would mean this is Stigmatomma pallipes.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#7 Offline mike.omeg - Posted June 2 2019 - 12:20 PM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Can you get a closer picture of the clypeal margin? It kinda looks convex in some of the pictures which would mean this is Stigmatomma pallipes.

Here is the best picture I can take.  I have a macro lens setup for my cell but it still does not get close in for the finer points, such as mouthparts. I hope this helps!

20190602_130825.jpg

#8 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 2 2019 - 12:32 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Hmm, I can't really tell from these pictures. The head is quite wide which makes me lean towards S. oregonense. Can't be sure though.

Edited by rbarreto, June 2 2019 - 12:32 PM.

• mike.omeg likes this

Check our my store here!

#9 Offline mike.omeg - Posted June 2 2019 - 12:39 PM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hmm, I can't really tell from these pictures. The head is quite wide which makes me lean towards S. oregonense. Can't be sure though.

Thanks rbarr.  I know that a scope is needed for the finer species determinations.  I sure wish I had a nice Lieca scope with a USB camera.  Alas!

#10 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 2 2019 - 12:39 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Even the "straight" clypeal margin of the Antweb S. pallipes specimen looks a little convex. Without much better photos, there's no way to be sure. Based on distribution, I'd say this is more likely S. oregonense.

Edited by VoidElecent, June 2 2019 - 12:39 PM.

• rbarreto likes this

#11 Offline rbarreto - Posted June 2 2019 - 12:45 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

Even the "straight" clypeal margin of the Antweb S. pallipes specimen looks a little convex. Without much better photos, there's no way to be sure. Based on distribution, I'd say this is more likely S. oregonense.

I think the S. pallipes clypeal margin is supposed to be convex, S. oregonense has the straight one.

Edited by rbarreto, June 2 2019 - 12:46 PM.

• VoidElecent likes this

Check our my store here!

#12 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 2 2019 - 12:54 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Even the "straight" clypeal margin of the Antweb S. pallipes specimen looks a little convex. Without much better photos, there's no way to be sure. Based on distribution, I'd say this is more likely S. oregonense.

I think the S. pallipes clypeal margin is supposed to be convex, S. oregonense has the straight one.

Yeah, you're right. I mixed them up.

#13 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 2 2019 - 7:35 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

you probably already know, but these are queens

#14 Offline mike.omeg - Posted June 3 2019 - 6:03 AM

mike.omeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

I thought they were queens.  The funny thing is I scooped them out of a group of hundreds of ants.  How many queens will this species have in one colony?  I know they are poly but how poly? Thanks!

#15 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 3 2019 - 6:23 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I thought they were queens.  The funny thing is I scooped them out of a group of hundreds of ants.  How many queens will this species have in one colony?  I know they are poly but how poly? Thanks!

I saw this one picture from Alex Wild of a colony of Stigmatomma pallipes with about 20 ants in the picture. 1 was a worker. I think it's safe to assume they're pretty polygynous! :lol:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users