• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenelopis Imparis

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 17 2020 - 2:52 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

yeah, Prenolepis Imparis have a high mortality rate, so maybe you're not such a rookie :)

Where’d you hear that?

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#22 Offline ConTejas - Posted February 17 2020 - 6:52 PM

ConTejas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

yeah, Prenolepis Imparis have a high mortality rate, so maybe you're not such a rookie :)

Where’d you hear that?

My understanding is that Queen Ants in general have a high mortality rate. P.Imparis is no different. I think since they're so highly sought after by enthusiasts, there's probably more handling, touching and viewing of the test tubes.

I think this is why people struggle with this species.

This species really needs very minimal care.

#23 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 17 2020 - 7:37 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I’d disagree with that. Lots of species have extremely low mortality rates in captivity, especially when provided with proper care. I'm sure other members can speak to this too.

Most of the species I keep, with the exception of Pogonomyrmex and Myrmecocystus, have a mortality rate of around 10-20 percent. Prenolepis imparis are no different, and if provided with adequate conditions, can have quite high success rates. Anyways, that's just my two cents.

Good luck with your colony :)

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#24 Offline ConTejas - Posted February 17 2020 - 8:19 PM

ConTejas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Where’d you hear that?

My understanding is that Queen Ants in general have a high mortality rate. P.Imparis is no different. I think since they're so highly sought after by enthusiasts, there's probably more handling, touching and viewing of the test tubes.

I think this is why people struggle with this species.

This species really needs very minimal care.

#25 Offline ConTejas - Posted February 20 2020 - 4:35 PM

ConTejas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I took some photos today and yesterday. This colony has slowed down their consumption of insect protein and seem to be carrying many repletes. 

I enjoy seeing their large gastors but i think I'm going to leave them alone for a little bit. I've noticed that they really like the stalactites on ceiling of their THA Mini Hearth. 

I've even observed them feeding on the stalactites with one holding the cut up mealworm and another feasting on it upside down.

They seem to regulate their need for water by moving either right on the ceiling when i fill up the reservoir, or moving right down to the top of the reservoir when it is low. I have also added 2 nest mates, but they tend to sit there for a long time as they are on the opposite side of the nest from where most of the activity occurs.

20200219 215159

20200219 215040

20200220 190040

20200220 190051

20200219 215148

I will likely post next mid March. I'm trying to give them a few weeks to prep themselves for estivation.

• ANTdrew and OhNoNotAgain like this

#26 Offline ConTejas - Posted February 20 2020 - 4:37 PM

ConTejas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I should have also added that it looks like the two ants that are feeding each other are carrying the Sunburst Ant Nector i have been feeding them. Looks like they are sharing sugars since they are scrambling cause of all the light while viewing.

• ANTdrew likes this

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 20 2020 - 5:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I love this colony. So hope to find one this spring.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 20 2020 - 5:41 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I probably couldn't keep these gals, but love their repletes!

• AntsDakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 20 2020 - 6:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I would love to try, if I could find any.  :lol:

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#30 Offline ConTejas - Posted February 20 2020 - 6:39 PM

ConTejas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Their really boring. They don't consume much and arent really active, I always wanted this species for their repletes.

These girls are really low maintenance.

#31 Offline ConTejas - Posted February 27 2020 - 7:38 AM

ConTejas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Question:

Does anyone have any records of P.Imparis in their third year (including the nuptial flight year)? I sort of want to know what to expect in terms of egg production during this estivation season. 

This colony is about to start the process of estivation. I have covered their nest entrance partially with a 16mm liquid ant feeder, so they can still get out. I will likely leave this here and maybe place some clay so that they can comfortably try and close it off on their own. If they don't then ill just take the clay out. I am really curious how fast this colony will grow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users