• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small gold ants around entire yard - Upstate NY, 5/19/19

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nawor3565 - Posted May 19 2019 - 3:11 PM

Nawor3565

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY, USA

Just a quick ID thread. I was at a friend's house helping with some gardening, and we noticed that these smallish golden ants were under EVERYTHING. Almost every rock we picked up, there were dozens of them underneath. But, they don't seem to make any anthills that we could find. I've got a picture, I didn't have anything for scale but I'd say they're around 0.3-0.5cm. Found near a forest in upstate NY. Thanks!

CCV5Gmf.jpg

#2 Offline AntsBC - Posted May 19 2019 - 3:21 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Acanthomyops - group Lasius.

It's virtually impossible to identify workers in this subgenus without very close photos of the ant's pubescence and mandibles, but just going off of your location, I would presume that these would be Lasius claviger.

https://www.antwiki....homyops_workers

Edited by AntsBC, May 19 2019 - 3:38 PM.

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 19 2019 - 3:52 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I second that. Parasitic Lasius. You can even see some sort of aphid-like bug they're tending.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users