• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Black-Lighting Public Journal

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 23 2020 - 7:14 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Here my new set up. It's a 25watt bulb I got off Amazon screwed in a lamp:

I was just screwing this into the porch light, but this was exponentially more effective.

how do you keep the queens from leaving once they hit the sheet?

You pretty much have to keep a constant visual on the blacklight, or at least check it every 7-10 minutes. Queens like to hang around the blacklight for a little while before leaving, so usually this is enough time to find them. I just grab them by the wings, picking queens up with your hands isn’t as hard as people make it sound, it’s all I do.
  • Martialis and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

#122 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 23 2020 - 7:18 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Here my new set up. It's a 25watt bulb I got off Amazon screwed in a lamp:

I was just screwing this into the porch light, but this was exponentially more effective.

how do you keep the queens from leaving once they hit the sheet?

You pretty much have to keep a constant visual on the blacklight, or at least check it every 7-10 minutes. Queens like to hang around the blacklight for a little while before leaving, so usually this is enough time to find them. I just grab them by the wings, picking queens up with your hands isn’t as hard as people make it sound, it’s all I do.
That’s how I pick up queens as well. The wings or thorax if they have already dropped them. It rarely injures them.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#123 Offline Martialis - Posted June 23 2020 - 7:19 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I've used a mercury vapor reptile heat lamp for blacklighting. It works really well for attracting quite a bit. I've also read that ants are more attracted to such bulbs than UV blacklights. Maybe you could get one and compare your results using it versus the "traditional" model.

• CatsnAnts likes this
Spoiler

#124 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 23 2020 - 7:29 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I've used a mercury vapor reptile heat lamp for blacklighting. It works really well for attracting quite a bit. I've also read that ants are more attracted to such bulbs than UV blacklights. Maybe you could get one and compare your results using it versus the "traditional" model.

It’s been a while since I talked to you last, nice to see you on this thread! I just looked at some of the mercury vapor bulbs, and they’re actually reasonably priced, but holy wow the wattage is high. I might buy one this summer just to test it out, but I’ve already spent so much on formicarium materials haha, whoops. I never considered the possibility that they might be better than a blacklight.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 23 2020 - 7:39 PM.

Spoiler

#125 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 24 2020 - 7:59 AM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
Which ones were reasonably priced? I know they are much better at attracting insects and much more powerful but all the ones I found were like 200 or 300 dollars?

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#126 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 24 2020 - 9:00 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
An Amazon search has several for $18. 175watts will surely attract queens!
  • CatsnAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#127 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 24 2020 - 9:30 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

An Amazon search has several for $18. 175watts will surely attract queens!

I use Amazon too! But first I need a lamp that can supply that kind of power.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 24 2020 - 9:34 AM.

Spoiler

#128 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 25 2020 - 6:16 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I just wanted to share a really nice tip with any of you who may be interested in blacklighting, how to make a home-made blacklight! Here’s a picture of my homemade blacklight (the really bright one) with my purchased blacklight:

The home-made one has consistently attracted about 5x more bugs than the one I bought (queen season hasn’t started yet, so I can’t compare queen numbers). It’s really easy to make, just take some plastic-wrap and some dark blue and purple markers. First, color two of the plastic wrap sheets blue and tape them over a regular light source (such as a light bulb), and then do the same thing but with purple. It really does attract a good amount of insects.

It’s supposed to rain Saturday here, and I assume that’s when queens will start flying. The Pheidole nest near my house has been preparing for flight each night, but then decides to call it quits because it’s not favorable conditions... yet.

Spoiler

#129 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 25 2020 - 6:26 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I also thought I’d share this neat stag beetle that I found, I haven’t seen one of these in forever:

• TennesseeAnts and Froggy like this

Spoiler

#130 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 28 2020 - 7:31 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I found loads of Pheidole bicarinata queens last night, as well as a suspiciously orange Pheidole queen who I presume is either a color variation of Pheidole bicarinata or is rather Pheidole morrisii! Surprisingly, not a single temnothorax queen showed up despite a couple showing up two nights ago.

Spoiler

#131 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 28 2020 - 8:37 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I get massive color variation with bicarinata queens from dark brown to orange. Pheidole morrisii flies at sunrise and is at least twice as large.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#132 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 28 2020 - 10:02 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Hey guys, I wanted to try and start blacklighting, but I dunno what is a good one to buy. Can anyone provide links for affordable yet effective black lights to buy? I’d prefer if they only need a battery to power it, as I plan on heading to different places to blacklight.

Also, I just wanted to clarify that blacklighting is essentially getting a blacklight and then covering it /putting the light on top of a kind of white sheet. Then ants (amongst other insects and such) will be attracted to it. Right?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Edited by TechAnt, June 28 2020 - 10:06 PM.

• CatsnAnts likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#133 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 28 2020 - 11:15 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I get massive color variation with bicarinata queens from dark brown to orange. Pheidole morrisii flies at sunrise and is at least twice as large.

Thank you! That helps me out a lot! Now I actually know what to look for and when.

Edit: Would you mind being more specific for when you found them in the morning? Was it right before sunrise just as the sun was coming up? Or was it while it was still pitch black outside? I just kind of want to know since I’m looking for other morning-fliers as well, such as Forelius.

Hey guys, I wanted to try and start blacklighting, but I dunno what is a good one to buy. Can anyone provide links for affordable yet effective black lights to buy? I’d prefer if they only need a battery to power it, as I plan on heading to different places to blacklight.
Also, I just wanted to clarify that blacklighting is essentially getting a blacklight and then covering it /putting the light on top of a kind of white sheet. Then ants (amongst other insects and such) will be attracted to it. Right?
Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I bought a cheap 15 watt blacklight off of Amazon (needs outlet), but I also made a home-made blacklight that has attracted way more queens than the one I bought. I explained how to make it above, but yes, just put the blacklight on a white sheet and turn it on.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 28 2020 - 11:28 PM.

• TechAnt likes this

Spoiler

#134 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 29 2020 - 2:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_asin_title
TechAnt, this is a $10.99 bulb I got off Amazon.
It has been highly effective for me screwed into a normal lamp and set over a white sheet. You can see a picture of my set up I posted if you scroll up in this thread.
  • CatsnAnts and TechAnt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#135 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 29 2020 - 2:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I found loads of Pheidole bicarinata queens last night, as well as a suspiciously orange Pheidole queen who I presume is either a color variation of Pheidole bicarinata or is rather Pheidole morrisii! Surprisingly, not a single temnothorax queen showed up despite a couple showing up two nights ago.

Wow, man. I hope your Pheidole are successful. Are you trying anything different this year? My house is now 87-89 degrees because of an electrical issue that took out my AC. Again. I’m hoping that warmth will help them along.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#136 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 29 2020 - 7:55 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_asin_title
TechAnt, this is a $10.99 bulb I got off Amazon.
It has been highly effective for me screwed into a normal lamp and set over a white sheet. You can see a picture of my set up I posted if you scroll up in this thread.

Thanks!
  • ANTdrew likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#137 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 29 2020 - 8:59 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Thank you! That helps me out a lot! Now I actually know what to look for and when.

Edit: Would you mind being more specific for when you found them in the morning? Was it right before sunrise just as the sun was coming up? Or was it while it was still pitch black outside? I just kind of want to know since I’m looking for other morning-fliers as well, such as Forelius.

I've never found morrisii but I've heard from other people that they can be found mainly after the sun rises. They fly just barely too late in the morning for mated queens to be attracted to lights.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#138 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 29 2020 - 5:06 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

The most interesting thing I've found so far are these golden beetles, show up every night, still haven't seen anything other than a few Nylanderia vividula males. Anyone know what time of the day Formica fly?

Attached Images

• _MG_1325.JPG

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#139 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 29 2020 - 5:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The Formica around me fly in the early afternoon.

#140 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 29 2020 - 5:19 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia
I got alot of those beetles yesterday.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users