• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Cardiocondyla cf. mauritanica Journal

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 4 2019 - 5:44 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

good luck, these are some of my favorite suburban ants

#22 Offline NickAnter - Posted December 4 2019 - 6:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Thank you!!!!  And they either have multiple eggs now, or a larva, as  I saw a queen either carrying a small cluster of eggs, or a medium sized larva.  I have found that they very rarely forage, which is odd for such skinny queens.  And the winged one has shed her wings.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 16 2020 - 4:21 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I just caught about 20 queens. I will feed them tonight.

• Somethinghmm, AntsDakota and TacticalHandleGaming like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#24 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 20 2020 - 4:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They have eggs! About ten of them!!  :yahoo:  I really hope they are successful.

Edited by NickAnter, February 20 2020 - 4:59 PM.

• Somethinghmm and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 28 2020 - 4:15 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

20 eggs now. And......... They have a medium larva!!! :yahoo: This is the first time I have ever got this far with them. I think that they require a large founding group. I might add a couple more when they get workers.

• Somethinghmm, AntsDakota and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#26 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 28 2020 - 4:24 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wow. This may be a first. If I remember correctly, no one has ever raised a colony from queens alone. Or maybe it was from a single queen.

• NickAnter likes this

#27 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 28 2020 - 4:29 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Oh, really? I guess we know the secret now.
  • NickAnter likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#28 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 28 2020 - 5:01 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I think it was only from a single queen that was never done before, sadly. But I think that my method is uncommonly successful, most successful is worker boosting, which I don't do, as I don't find it as fulfilling, as is the process of getting natural workers.

The secret is: Try try, and try again. As well as a ton of queens. Throw as many as possible in one tube. I think 100 would be ideal. I still have no idea how alates do it in the wild.  Though, I have seen an alate, with a dealate, with a worker. So, this could mean that single queens and a worker or two bud out, and then alates join them when they fly. And, also I have made a new scientific discovery a week ago. Alates, and presumably workers will make rafts on the water. I observed roughly 30 alate queens in the pool, all in one raft. They even added an aphid to the raft. I will post the pictures of it in a bit.

Edited by NickAnter, February 28 2020 - 5:05 PM.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#29 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 3 2020 - 5:57 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here is the long awaited picture:
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#30 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 3 2020 - 6:00 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

that's kinda trippy, looks like a geometric shape made out of queens.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#31 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 4 2020 - 12:56 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

welp i know what to use for rafting materials if i need to cross an ocean lol

• NickAnter likes this

#32 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 2:06 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Here is the long awaited picture:

This makes Egypt’s pyramids look like piles of rock. These are alive.........
  • NickAnter likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#33 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 4 2020 - 5:09 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Its a triantgle

#34 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 10 2020 - 4:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Caught 2 queens, and boosted them with 3 workers. 2 workers died, leaving them with 1. They now have 2 eggs, one of which might be a small larva. In a couple months, they will have their giant flights, and I plan to put at least 30 queens in one tube. I'm convinced the more queens, the bettter.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#35 Offline M_Ants - Posted November 10 2020 - 4:20 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Will you sell extra queens?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#36 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 11 2020 - 7:18 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

It depends on how many queens I find, and how many do well.

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 18 2021 - 3:42 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

OK, well, several cycles of finding queens, and failing have passed since then. They didn't have a massive singular flight this year like last year, so it has made the strategy I employed last year pretty much impossible. However, I do have a new plan, and was able to use it today. I was observing a nest of the species, when a queen just wandered by. I collected her, and put her in snap cap vial founding formicarium, with a proper chamber, and small entrance hole, as well as a hydration chamber. I then went out and collected about 10 workers to boost the queen with. Out of curiosity, I went out again in search of more queens. I was successful, and found an alate in the pool, and a dealate wandering around. Interestingly, the alate is of a different body shape than the dealate I found near the host nest. Once they are all in a better place, I will hopefully be able to take pictures and video of them side by side.

• yibsi likes this

#38 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 28 2021 - 6:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Eggses!!! We have eggses!!!

They have a nice little pile of eggs, and, as an added bonus, I found another queen today, tandem running with a worker, likely transferring between nests. Naturally, she was accepted with no problems. I hope to at the very least keep them alive in this way; be able to find enough queens at random so that when some inevitably die the colony doesnt die out. And pictures should come tomorrow!

• ANTS_KL and TacticalHandleGaming like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users