• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted August 10 2021 - 6:35 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
It's been a while since I updated on all the Formica colonies. Right now I have 3 cf. pallidefulva and 1 cf. subsericea colonies from last year in mini hearths. All are around 40 workers with tons of pupae. I connected the test tubes of two of the cf. pallidefulva colonies to the mini hearths so they could move in at their own pace. Despite their test tubes being completely dry they refused to move for months so they finally got dumped in! They don't seem to be worse for wear though.

Here is part of the cf. subsericea colony that was down to only a few workers after being moved to the mini hearth shortly after diapause but has rebounded nicely. Out of frame there are another handful of workers tending larvae over the water tower.

Attached File  IMG_20210805_224308674~2_resize_30.jpg   408.32KB   0 downloads

Edited by Polyacanthus, August 11 2021 - 5:53 PM.

• ANTdrew and m99 like this

#82 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted August 22 2021 - 7:25 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
Here is my best tetramorium colony drinking some sugar water. Earlier in the summer I caught a bunch of them and having learned they found colonies together I thought I'd test putting multiple in a tube. Four in this tube, three in another, a couple pairs and a singleton.

This tube that contained the four queens has the most workers and brood by far, and as expected (although not expected so soon), only one queen remains alive.

Attached File  IMG_20210819_224029123_resize_15.jpg   455.27KB   0 downloads

Edited by Polyacanthus, August 22 2021 - 7:26 PM.

• m99 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tapinoma sessile, formica pallidefulva, camponotus pennsylvanicus, prenolepis imparis, camponotus nearcticus, lasius aphidicola, crematogaster, formica subsericea, temnothorax, tetramorium immigrans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users