Updates since last summer: I had some dieoffs. No more feeding insects from outdoors. I thought I had caught them far enough from anywhere with pesticides but apparently not.
Also my tetramorium tubes dried out much faster than I had anticipated and I lost some colonies. Some of the queens survived despite their nanitics dying off, we'll see if they can rebound this year.
In September I caught several Crematogaster queens.
I wasn't able to acquire a mini fridge for diapause but I put everything in the basement near the floor where it was about 55F for a few months. I got them back out in march, put them in a warmer part of the basement for a week before bringing them upstairs. I lost a few queens but not too much. Most of the pennsylvanicus queens had some small larvae, especially those with nanitics still.
On February 6 it got pretty warm out and the Prenolepis imparis were out. I was able to collect 5 wingless queens. After reading they did better in polygenous colonies I put two in one tube and three in the other.
At this point the Crematogaster queens I collected last fall and the P. imparis queens have piles of eggs going. Most of the Formica queens have new brood piles going.
Here are the P. imparis
And the Crematogaster
Here is one of the pallidefulva from last year with a fresh batch of eggs
And one of the fusca from last year with fresh eggs
Pics were all from April 21.
Edited by Polyacanthus, May 2 2021 - 7:39 PM.