• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Malaise traps?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 3 2019 - 3:16 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I have been hearing that malaise traps are a good way to find flying insects including winged alates. Has anyone ever tried these before or have I just discovered the newest way to catch queens?

EDIT: I would also like to add where would be the best place to buy a trap? Is bioquip good?

Edited by Manitobant, May 3 2019 - 3:50 PM.

#2 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 3 2019 - 3:55 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Bioquip is good but pricey, although I know of no better options at the moment. Keep in mind though that the catch chamber is designed to have alcohol in it. The other problem is that many alates drop to the ground when the hit the trap so you would need a catch pan under the trap.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 3 2019 - 5:57 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Bioquip is good but pricey, although I know of no better options at the moment. Keep in mind though that the catch chamber is designed to have alcohol in it. The other problem is that many alates drop to the ground when the hit the trap so you would need a catch pan under the trap.

I'm actually planning to have a bin under there coated in fluon so they can't escape

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 4 2019 - 9:17 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You could also just hang up a sheet or net of your own.

Edited by ponerinecat, May 4 2019 - 9:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users