• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Request please!

Best Answer Acutus , May 3 2019 - 2:00 PM

Anytime. This is one of my favorite species as well. I used to have 2 colonies, but I sold one and the other one dried out during hibernation. I was pretty bummed. I hope to catch another queen this summer though.

Yeah I'm hoping to be able to find a queen. This is the first time I've ever seen this species in fact I didn't know it existed until a couple weeks ago!! LOL

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Acutus - Posted May 2 2019 - 7:39 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Got another one guys!

These guys are currently feasting on a termite swarm coming from a stump.

Maryland, Howard County

Colony appears to be under same stump.

Sorry did the best I could with my phone! I'm hoping I'm right cause I think I know what they are!!

8yNTIue.jpg

aGctbCX.jpg

K9Fw2Z3.jpg

Q41qAYh.jpg

Edited by Acutus, May 2 2019 - 7:45 AM.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 2 2019 - 7:50 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis, one of my personal favorites :)

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline Acutus - Posted May 2 2019 - 7:53 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

:yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

that's what I was hoping!!!! WoooHoooooo!!!!! now I just gotta find a queen one day!! Oh yeah and another Aphaenogaster species to raid lol!!

Thanks FTA!!!

Edited by Acutus, May 2 2019 - 7:54 AM.

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 2 2019 - 4:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Congrats on finding what you were looking for! I don't have that kind of luck. :rolleyes:

By the way, what are they nesting in?

#5 Offline Acutus - Posted May 2 2019 - 8:31 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Congrats on finding what you were looking for! I don't have that kind of luck. :rolleyes:

Luck is right. If I hadn't noticed the termite swarm and then a couple ants grabbing the termites I'd have never had seen them! :)

The base of a stump. It's actually an old tree that was chainsaw carved into a work of art. the hole appears to go down through and into the ground. :) I found the species I was looking for but they need to hurry up an produce some queens for me to catch LOL!

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#6 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 3 2019 - 11:55 AM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Luck is right. If I hadn't noticed the termite swarm and then a couple ants grabbing the termites I'd have never had seen them! :)
The base of a stump. It's actually an old tree that was chainsaw carved into a work of art. the hole appears to go down through and into the ground. :) I found the species I was looking for but they need to hurry up an produce some queens for me to catch LOL!

A. Tenneseensis are parasitic to other Aphaenogaster species. You'll need to catch some workers from another colony, even some of the workers pictured would do. You might even be able to find some larvae/pupae to put in with your queen when you end up catching her.

I would suggest catching the workers now though, so that their queen's pheromones has time to dissipate before you introduce a new queen.
  • Acutus likes this

#7 Offline Acutus - Posted May 3 2019 - 1:09 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

A. Tenneseensis are parasitic to other Aphaenogaster species. You'll need to catch some workers from another colony, even some of the workers pictured would do. You might even be able to find some larvae/pupae to put in with your queen when you end up catching her.

I would suggest catching the workers now though, so that their queen's pheromones has time to dissipate before you introduce a new queen.

Thanks for the tips!! I'll definitely do this! :)

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#8 Offline Jamiesname - Posted May 3 2019 - 1:12 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Anytime. This is one of my favorite species as well. I used to have 2 colonies, but I sold one and the other one dried out during hibernation. I was pretty bummed. I hope to catch another queen this summer though.

#9 Offline Acutus - Posted May 3 2019 - 2:00 PM   Best Answer

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yeah I'm hoping to be able to find a queen. This is the first time I've ever seen this species in fact I didn't know it existed until a couple weeks ago!! LOL

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users