• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID request - Very Beautiful Danish Ant.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lisberg - Posted April 19 2019 - 1:17 PM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark
1. Location (on a map) of collection: Limfjorden, Eskov, Denmark
2. Date of collection: 18th of April, 2019
3. Habitat of collection: Beach, At the edge of the Saltwater sea.
4. Length (from head to gaster): 11 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Black "feet" sliding into Amber legs and sliding back to black body, Gaster is bold and quiet shiny.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: eyeshape is a triangle with rounded corners. There is absolutely no hair on its body.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Very active, and spending a lot of time grooming the antenna.
8. Nest description: Not found in or near a visible nest.
9. Nuptial flight time and date: Found it around 2 PM, on the first day with 15C. was 10C warmer than the day before and Wind was coming from the north.

[Images of ant]

P 20190419 124506
P 20190419 124511

Habitat

207716 Eskov 2

I think it might be a formica rufa queen, since the head is as big as it is, and males tends to have smaller heads.
Anyone who can confirm ? :)

Edited by Lisberg, April 19 2019 - 2:24 PM.

#2 Offline rbarreto - Posted April 19 2019 - 1:41 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On
Definitely Formica queen.

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#3 Offline Jefw1f - Posted April 19 2019 - 5:34 PM

Jefw1f

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Wow, gorgeous color! Great catch
  • Lisberg likes this

#4 Offline Lisberg - Posted April 20 2019 - 4:24 AM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

Does anyone know how to i can identify the correct species ?.. I know that Formica Rufa needs some helper ants to start a colony?, is there any books where i can lookup every know ant species ?

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 20 2019 - 7:18 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Does anyone know how to i can identify the correct species ?.. I know that Formica Rufa needs some helper ants to start a colony?, is there any books where i can lookup every know ant species ?

Check antweb.org

I think it's Formica rufa

• Lisberg likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline Barristan - Posted April 20 2019 - 7:36 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

It is a little bit early for Formica rufa.

My guess would be Formica pratensis, which can fly quite early (starting April). The colors look quite similar but the black color of the scutellum and gaster is dull for Formica pratensis while it is quite shiny for Formica rufa and Formica polyctena.

Formica pratensis is a social parasitic ant species so the queens needs at least pupae of slave ant species, e. g. Formica fusca, Formica rufibarbis etc.

Edited by Barristan, April 20 2019 - 7:37 AM.

• FeedTheAnts and Lisberg like this

#7 Offline Lisberg - Posted April 20 2019 - 7:52 AM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

My guess would be Formica pratensis, which can fly quite early (starting April). The colors look quite similar but the black color of the scutellum and gaster is dull for Formica pratensis while it is quite shiny for Formica rufa and Formica polyctena.

Formica pratensis is a social parasitic ant species so the queens needs at least pupae of slave ant species, e. g. Formica fusca, Formica rufibarbis etc.

After looking it up, i think you are quite right.. i found these photos on a polish web.

https://kb.formicope...rolowa_MAck.jpg

And they look a lot like the ant i've caught... So today i went out, and found some pupae and ants of Formica Fusca's .. the ants are now in the refrigerator and the pupae is at the queen.

Edited by Lisberg, April 20 2019 - 7:52 AM.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 20 2019 - 8:05 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

After looking it up, i think you are quite right.. i found these photos on a polish web.https://kb.formicope...rolowa_MAck.jpg
And they look a lot like the ant i've caught... So today i went out, and found some pupae and ants of Formica Fusca's .. the ants are now in the refrigerator and the pupae is at the queen.
don’t bother with the ants. Only pupae are needed to found Formica parasites.

#9 Offline Lisberg - Posted April 20 2019 - 8:15 AM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

After looking it up, i think you are quite right.. i found these photos on a polish web.https://kb.formicope...rolowa_MAck.jpg
don’t bother with the ants. Only pupae are needed to found Formica parasites.

Does it help to "add" ants ?
She does not look interested in the pupae ?, is this normal behavior, they are not very well described, as far as i can find online

#10 Offline Acutus - Posted April 20 2019 - 9:09 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Beautiful ant! and I just learned a TON of stuff from this post! I had no idea there were ants that had that type of life cycle! :D

• Barristan likes this

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#11 Offline Barristan - Posted April 20 2019 - 9:26 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Beautiful ant! and I just learned a TON of stuff from this post! I had no idea there were ants that had that type of life cycle! :D

If you want to learn more about social parasitism among ants (and the different types) check out the review Prof. Alfred Buschinger wrote: Social parasitism among ants: a review

#12 Offline Acutus - Posted April 20 2019 - 9:41 AM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

If you want to learn more about social parasitism among ants (and the different types) check out the review Prof. Alfred Buschinger wrote: Social parasitism among ants: a review

Will do thank you!!

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#13 Offline Lisberg - Posted April 21 2019 - 12:11 PM

Lisberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIkast, Denmark

It seems that the Formica Pratensis does not live in Denmark - Soo i check the national register of wildlife, and found something called "Stubmyre" translated "Stump Ant"... a Formica truncorum .

They apparently varies quiet a bit in color - but so far this will be my guess :)

I take that back.. it is indeed a Formica Pratesis.

Edited by Lisberg, April 21 2019 - 1:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users