• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cloud's Camponotus snellingi Journal (Updated May 25th, 2019)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 17 2019 - 6:28 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Among my many queens are two, in particular, that stand out, my two Camponotus snellingi queens. Their color is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm really glad I found them. I've seen three queens this year, all of which with different, unique colorations. The first queen was primarily orangy-yellow with a yellow gaster with black at the tip. The second queen, my personal favorite whom I was not able to capture as she escaped, was a deep red with a yellow gaster and more black on her abdomen than the first queen. The third queen which I found yesterday morning in between two logs was similar in coloration to the first queen but like the second queen, she had more black on her gaster than the first one. Out of all of my queens, these are some of my favorites. I have them in the same setup as all of my other queens, but with some pieces of wood for them to hide under as that's what they seem to like the most. These ants are arboreal, so I will have to design a better setup for them as they get their first nanitics. I plan on housing them the same as all of my other arboreal ants, in a hollow twig cut down the center with a sheet of pliable plastic over it. I could also drill into a piece of wood and carve out some chambers for them. I will update you guys on their progress.

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, May 25 2019 - 7:52 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 17 2019 - 8:41 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
The deep red queens are probably Camponotus subbarbatus. Snellingi have a yellow abdomen with some black at the tip.

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 17 2019 - 10:16 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The deep red queens are probably Camponotus subbarbatus. Snellingi have a yellow abdomen with some black at the tip.

No, she was definitely Camponotus snellingi. She did have a yellow gaster, and about half of it was black at the tip. She just had a very deep red head and mesosoma. I took a video of her, and I could take a screenshot and post it.

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 17 2019 - 10:19 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Yes, please pics.

#5 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 17 2019 - 10:22 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Yes, please pics.

Okay...

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 17 2019 - 10:31 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
Camponotus snellingi Orange
The orange queen.
Camponotus snellingi Dark Red
The deep red queen.

Edited by CloudtheDinosaurKing, April 17 2019 - 10:32 AM.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 17 2019 - 10:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Yeah, ok. Definitely snellingi.

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 17 2019 - 4:46 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I guess I should keep my eyes open for this species, never knew my dad got a Camponotus named after him.

• nurbs, Zeiss, Canadian anter and 5 others like this

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 30 2019 - 9:12 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Time for an update on these girls, finally! And yes, girls, plural. A few weeks ago, I found another queen in my wood pile. She looks kinda like a cross between the orange and the red queen. I am keeping the queens int he same container as they seem to get along very well, often sitting next to each other, grooming each other. And after several weeks, one of the queens has finally laid eggs! I'm not sure how many, but I could see three. The lighter queen was the one who was tending to them, so I'm guessing she was the one who laid them. I can't wait to see how these girls do. I really love the colors of Camponotus snellingi. They are quite beautiful ants, although to be truthful, I think the queens have better colors.  :lol:

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline bama_ants - Posted May 4 2019 - 11:58 AM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL

Hello,  may I ask what are the lengths of the queens?  

I ask because I collected a queen with snellingi colors that is pushing 11-12mm.  However, I and another person I know, both collected queens that barely hit 9mm.  However, all of them have the snellingi coloration.  

The larger queen is also more broad and has a larger head, and it is slightly darker colored along the middle of the head.  

Currently, she has laid 9 eggs.  Not sure if that matters, but I don't know much about how many eggs each species lays when they first start out.

• Aaron567 likes this

#11 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 4 2019 - 3:56 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Hello,  may I ask what are the lengths of the queens?  

I ask because I collected a queen with snellingi colors that is pushing 11-12mm.  However, I and another person I know, both collected queens that barely hit 9mm.  However, all of them have the snellingi coloration.  

The larger queen is also more broad and has a larger head, and it is slightly darker colored along the middle of the head.  

Currently, she has laid 9 eggs.  Not sure if that matters, but I don't know much about how many eggs each species lays when they first start out.

Yeah, I'd say Camponotus snellingi queens are around 8-9 millimeters. I'm not too sure what your queen would be. Could you maybe post pics? That would help me identify her.  (y)

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#12 Offline bama_ants - Posted May 4 2019 - 4:46 PM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL
Here is the best I could do. Thanks for any suggestions.

#13 Offline bama_ants - Posted May 4 2019 - 4:48 PM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL
Sorry, I’m new to this forum. I tried to post a picture but it gave me an error about the type of file. Any ideas on why it won’t accept a photo from an iphone?

#14 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 4 2019 - 5:02 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Sorry, I’m new to this forum. I tried to post a picture but it gave me an error about the type of file. Any ideas on why it won’t accept a photo from an iphone?

What I do is hook my phone up to my computer and transport the files to a separate folder.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#15 Offline bama_ants - Posted May 4 2019 - 5:33 PM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL
Camponotus

I think I got it!

#16 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 4 2019 - 5:55 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Hmm, what was the location of her capture?

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#17 Offline bama_ants - Posted May 4 2019 - 6:19 PM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL

Southeast Alabama. About 50 miles north of Mobile in a very rural area surrounded by native woodland.

I have collected ants here for several years, but this was a first for me.  I searched through the Mississippi State entomology site and the closest ant to this one is Snellingi.  I thought she was Snellingi until my friend collected several smaller queens, and then I collected a smaller one last night.  Reading up on Snellingi, they are about 9mm queens.  And, when I have them side by side, it's a noticeable size difference.

Edited by bama_ants, May 4 2019 - 6:25 PM.

#18 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 4 2019 - 6:53 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

The only other ant with a coloration similar to this is Camponotus socius, but their queens are huge, reaching lengths between 15 and 16 millimeters, so I'd say this is Camponotus snellingi, just a very large one. You're pretty lucky! And welcome to the forum by the way!  ;)

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#19 Offline bama_ants - Posted May 4 2019 - 7:33 PM

bama_ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL
Thank you for the welcome and for taking a look at her.

Socius is also hairy in comparison, kinda like Floridanus.
You can’t tell from the photo, but my queen isn’t hairy.

#20 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 4 2019 - 7:47 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Thank you for the welcome and for taking a look at her.

Socius is also hairy in comparison, kinda like Floridanus.
You can’t tell from the photo, but my queen isn’t hairy.

Yeah, I figured she wouldn't be C. socius.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users