• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mettcollsuss's Ant Journals (Updated 23 Oct 2023)

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 29 2019 - 5:45 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Pics of the Formica?

My computer broke, which is my only device that can process the photos from my camera. I’ll add photos as soon as possible.

Edited by Mettcollsuss, October 29 2019 - 5:46 PM.

#82 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 30 2019 - 5:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
You could use the FC gallery.

#83 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 30 2019 - 11:48 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis
Colony 1: So. Much. Brood.
Colony 2: 2 workers, okay brood pile.
Colony 3: 1 worker, small brood pile.

Formica neorufibarbis
Eggs and larvae. Making a good recovery.

Tetramorium immigrans
There have been a lot of extra workers milling about in the outworld recently and they seem to be chewing at the cotton exit plug. I'm not sure why. They're getting plenty of food, and the nest still has more room for growth. Anyone have any ideas?

Aphaenogaster rudis
Okay, but not thriving. They're at 20-30 workers with just enough brood to replace dying workers. Their mini hearth is getting dirty, but I'm apprehensive to move them, since last time I tried to 2/3 of the colony died.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus
I thought they were slowing down for the year, but looking into their Talus, I saw workers carrying tons of young larvae around. Strangely, most of their brood is being kept in the Talus, but the queen is staying in the AA acrylic nest.

also, something that pharaoh ant colonies do in preparation for diapause is carry larva out of the nest into the sun so they can stay warm while they prep the nest for hibernation

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#84 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 30 2019 - 12:52 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Colony 1: So. Much. Brood.
Colony 2: 2 workers, okay brood pile.
Colony 3: 1 worker, small brood pile.

Formica neorufibarbis
Eggs and larvae. Making a good recovery.

Tetramorium immigrans
There have been a lot of extra workers milling about in the outworld recently and they seem to be chewing at the cotton exit plug. I'm not sure why. They're getting plenty of food, and the nest still has more room for growth. Anyone have any ideas?

Aphaenogaster rudis
Okay, but not thriving. They're at 20-30 workers with just enough brood to replace dying workers. Their mini hearth is getting dirty, but I'm apprehensive to move them, since last time I tried to 2/3 of the colony died.

I thought they were slowing down for the year, but looking into their Talus, I saw workers carrying tons of young larvae around. Strangely, most of their brood is being kept in the Talus, but the queen is staying in the AA acrylic nest.

also, something that pharaoh ant colonies do in preparation for diapause is carry larva out of the nest into the sun so they can stay warm while they prep the nest for hibernation

I don't think Pharaoh ants hibernate.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#85 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 30 2019 - 2:32 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Pogonomyrmex occidentalisColony 1: So. Much. Brood.Colony 2: 2 workers, okay brood pile.Colony 3: 1 worker, small brood pile.
 Formica neorufibarbisEggs and larvae. Making a good recovery.
 Tetramorium immigransThere have been a lot of extra workers milling about in the outworld recently and they seem to be chewing at the cotton exit plug. I'm not sure why. They're getting plenty of food, and the nest still has more room for growth. Anyone have any ideas?
 Aphaenogaster rudisOkay, but not thriving. They're at 20-30 workers with just enough brood to replace dying workers. Their mini hearth is getting dirty, but I'm apprehensive to move them, since last time I tried to 2/3 of the colony died.

If they live in a temperate region they have to
Also where is the Lasius Americanus in this journal?

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#86 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 30 2019 - 3:38 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Pogonomyrmex occidentalisColony 1: So. Much. Brood.Colony 2: 2 workers, okay brood pile.Colony 3: 1 worker, small brood pile.
 Tetramorium immigransThere have been a lot of extra workers milling about in the outworld recently and they seem to be chewing at the cotton exit plug. I'm not sure why. They're getting plenty of food, and the nest still has more room for growth. Anyone have any ideas?
 Aphaenogaster rudisOkay, but not thriving. They're at 20-30 workers with just enough brood to replace dying workers. Their mini hearth is getting dirty, but I'm apprehensive to move them, since last time I tried to 2/3 of the colony died.

If they live in a temperate region they have toAlso where is the Lasius Americanus in this journal?

Actually, not all ants in temperate regions hibernate. Take Tapinoma sessile for example. They move into buildings during the winter.

#87 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:16 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Beetles also live in the US because of the warmth. If we stopped heating our homes, all beetles would die, and the only remaining species would be the African species, where beetles originated from. Also, wouldn't Camponotous who live in houses not hibernate then as well?  

#88 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:20 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Beetles also live in the US because of the warmth. If we stopped heating our homes, all beetles would die, and the only remaining species would be the African species, where beetles originated from. Also, wouldn't Camponotous who live in houses not hibernate then as well?  

Camponoutus don't naturally live in houses. Some beetles actually hibernate, enter a state of torpor, or gather in big groups to stay warm, like lady bugs.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#89 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:23 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

No, I believe they inhabit warm buildings.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#90 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:25 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

About Camponotous, I was just asking because it seemed it was kind of different. Also I'm not into pharaoh/ invader ants, so its like talking to a brick wall if you ask me anything about pharaoh ants :lol: 

#91 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:27 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Thanks for the answers though. I'm happy it didn't take a while to get an answer for something, unlike some other anting forums I've been on...  

#92 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 1 2019 - 3:28 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Camponoutus don't naturally live in houses.

I do agree with you, yet I could argue otherwise. They naturally nest in wood, and houses fall into that category. However, context is the key here, and I believe you meant they don't naturally live in houses specifically.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Mettcollsuss's ants.

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe, DDD101DDD and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#93 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 28 2019 - 4:40 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Also where is the Lasius Americanus in this journal?

They died. I don't have great luck with Lasius.

#94 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 28 2019 - 5:03 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Colony 1: 20 workers, roughly. Lots of brood. I added an extra tube to their setup to make sure they don't run out of water. They've already started to line the cotton with substrate. They've grown so much and yet required no care. I gave an outworld with some substrate and a tray with an assortment of seeds and they've grown a lot. I haven't given them any additional care other than the extra test tube. These gals are incredible.

Colony 2: Doing well. I gave them an extra tube as well, just to be safe

Colony 3: Died  :(

Formica subsericea

Nothing new. Winding down for hibernation.

Formica neorufibarbis

Doing great. Got some large larvae and even some pupae, I think. I finally got some new fruit flies, so feeding them should be easier, since they don't seem to like mealworms.

Doing well. Preparing for winter.

Aphaenogaster picea

Gave them a new test tube. They are not good at keeping their tubes clean.

Prenolepis imparis

Sold em.

Temnothorax sp.

Still nothing. Are Temnothorax fully or semi-claustral? I'm assuming fully, because I haven't seen her trying to forage at all, but I'm not completely sure.

#95 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 28 2019 - 5:16 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I also just made this nest prototype. There's a small error in the hydration system, but one I've gotten that figured out, I was thinking this might be a nice nest for one of my P. occidentalis.

med_gallery_1963_1384_1140440.jpg

#96 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 28 2019 - 6:54 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Temnothorax sp.

Still nothing. Are Temnothorax fully or semi-claustral? I'm assuming fully, because I haven't seen her trying to forage at all, but I'm not completely sure.

Yes, they are fully claustral with the exception of parasitic species.

• Mettcollsuss and TennesseeAnts like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#97 Offline AntsDakota - Posted November 28 2019 - 7:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I also just made this nest prototype. There's a small error in the hydration system, but one I've gotten that figured out, I was thinking this might be a nice nest for one of my P. occidentalis.

med_gallery_1963_1384_1140440.jpg

What's it made out of? Did you 3D print it?

#98 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted November 28 2019 - 7:54 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

What's it made out of? Did you 3D print it?

I designed it in Tinkercad and then 3D printed it with nGen filament.

#99 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 2 2020 - 12:55 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Tetramorium immigrans

Most of my ants are in hibernation, so there hasn't been much to report on. But, as usual my Tetramorium aren't hibernating since they just refuse to whenever I try. I've started giving them some dubia roaches. They've only had two adult males so far since I don't have a ton to feed off, but hopefully I'll be able to get a more stable dubia population soon. They love them and have completely hollowed out both of them within 24 hours. Looking forward to a boom in eggs soon.

Colony 1: Have filled their tube with dirt so I can't see what's going on, but seem to be doing fine. Always come swarming out of the tube whenever I open the outworld, even the queen.

Colony 2: Still at two workers. No new brood. I don't see them collecting seeds and they won't take any insects I give them so I'm not sure what to do to get them to produce some new brood. I'm trying to get their numbers up so I can sell them.

#100 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 2 2020 - 1:31 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Looks like this forum is starting to come out of diapause... 

• Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts, AntsBC and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users