• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nectar

nectar ant diet how to make question hummingbird nectar

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 22 2019 - 7:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I don't know, but 50/50 Honey water is all I've ever fed my colonies. I just change it out every three days or so. It never tastes fermented to me at all by that point. The worst case scenario would be trace amounts of alcohol forming if you left it too long. If you want to use honey, just change it out frequently. I use Harris Teeter's organic wildflower honey.

A complete fermentation for a mead takes over a month.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#22 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 22 2019 - 11:16 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You don’t want drunk ants running and killing each other like mad men. :lol:

#23 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 22 2019 - 11:35 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Something to keep in mind is that any creature that routinely eats fruits or sugary substances is going to run into fermented juices.

The chief issue I raised was with respect to using any live and active fermenting liquid in larger gravity liquid feeders, because the gas production will force the liquid out.  While I haven't seen any evidence that ethanol has a phagostimulatory effect on ants, I do know that ants are repelled by ethanol at higher concentrations.

In the past, I actually tried adding a small amount of ethanol to Sunburst Ant Nectar in an attempt to reduce the active water concentration (acting as a preservative), and even a small amount of ethanol made the solution less attractive to ants.  Ants and other animals are likely to continue eating fruits and liquids undergoing fermentation in the wild by virtue of the fact that sugar is a scarce resource to begin with, while animals with chewing mouthparts may also benefit from easier digestion of these decomposing foodstuffs.

Another issue with relying on fermentation to produce quality liquids to which ants are receptive, is that fermentation is an inexact science and extremely difficult to replicate—and that's putting things kindly.  Think of all the fermented wines, beers, and other beverages in the world.  Most antkeepers want sugary liquids to perform reliably and consistently every time, which would be the complete opposite of any liquid produced with the aid of fermentation.

These products are made of essential oils (ProHealth= lecithin [emulsifier], EO of spearmint, EO of lemongrass, and EO thymol) and they really lengthen feed-life and are safe for the bees when used/mixed properly. Are there similar products for ants?

Many types of volatile plant compounds repel ants.  If you conducted very careful and controlled experiments on ants with these compounds, you would likely be among the first to do so.

For what it’s worth I’ve fed colonies fermented honey water without issue in the past. They even seemed to enjoy it more when they would start to get bored of fresh mixtures.

I disagree with the idea that ants become "bored" with different sugar solutions; there must be a less arbitrary reason for why ants would be attracted to solution A over B.  If the workers are more receptive to one solution over another based on composition alone—which can best be determined by offering foods simultaneously to a large sample size of colonies—you should be able to replicate the more attractive solution and retain the advantages it has over the other solution so that it is preferred every time, rather than on irregular occasions.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 22 2019 - 12:01 PM.

• FSTP and Nylanderiavividula like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 22 2019 - 3:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank you, drtmiller. Point taken.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#25 Offline Jamiesname - Posted February 23 2019 - 8:30 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I'll start off by admitting that I didn't read every post in this thread, so forgive me if this was already brought up. The most important reason
why you shouldn't feed your ants honey is because it contains varying amounts of pesticides from the plants that the bees collect their pollen from, especially from honey produced by bees near large agricultural areas.

As a side note, it's almost impossible to guarantee that honey is organic unless you can track every flower that every bee has visited.

Just something to think about.

Edited by Jamiesname, February 23 2019 - 8:32 PM.

#26 Offline JenC - Posted February 23 2019 - 10:53 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
So should I get Sunburst Ant Nectar instead of honey?
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#27 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 23 2019 - 11:09 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

So should I get Sunburst Ant Nectar instead of honey?

The most important thing would be to find a sugary solution that works consistently and reliably for you and your ants. Plenty of people successfully prepare their own sugar water mixtures or use various types of honey, syrups, and other sugary liquids.

Sunburst Ant Nectar is simply a commercial option you may want to consider if you're looking for the convenience of a ready-to-use liquid that doesn't require any mixing or special storage, and is specially formulated for ants.

• FSTP likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#28 Offline JenC - Posted February 23 2019 - 11:33 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
Ok thanks.
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#29 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 24 2019 - 1:43 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yes Sunburst works best in my opinion.

#30 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted February 25 2019 - 6:12 AM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I'll start off by admitting that I didn't read every post in this thread, so forgive me if this was already brought up. The most important reason
why you shouldn't feed your ants honey is because it contains varying amounts of pesticides from the plants that the bees collect their pollen from, especially from honey produced by bees near large agricultural areas.
As a side note, it's almost impossible to guarantee that honey is organic unless you can track every flower that every bee has visited.

Be careful without citing sources there for studies done on honey that may contain pesticides (I would invite you to read some of the work Randy Oliver has done concerning bees, honey, and pesticides). Honey is generally not that dangerous. Chemical compounds are indeed taken up by plant roots in a process called “absorption”. Most common insecticides are NOT systemic. Nicotenoids and neonicoteniods are a couple of the chemical classes that ARE generally systemic and can be expressed in plant tissues (and pollen and nectar). Neonicotenoids had been banned in Europe (not sure if they still are or aren’t) in an effort to turn around dwindling pollinator numbers. However, most neonicotenoids are applied as a seed coat so that as the planted seed germinates it is protected during its cotyledon stage and on into its true-leaf stage. What is currently being studied is exactly how long these effects in plants last as concerns acute lethality to insects and the far more complicated sub-lethal effects. It all sounds very scary, but in the end after a plant has begun absorbing a chemical compound most of them are rendered innocuous by the plants’ metabolism. Past that, when nectar is fully ripened into honey it goes through a number of processes (including having a chemical consistency very similar to peroxide at a certain stage) that would further serve to breakdown many chemical compounds. I am not an advocate of wanton pesticide use, but I also hate to see people create boogeymen because they lack information on a subject. Most pesticides are NOT systemic.
  • FSTP and ANTdrew like this
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes (Pretty sure...)
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Aphaenogaster sp. (I’ll be working on this species ID, soon)
Pheidole crassicornis

#31 Offline Jamiesname - Posted February 26 2019 - 8:02 AM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Be careful without citing sources there for studies done on honey that may contain pesticides (I would invite you to read some of the work Randy Oliver has done concerning bees, honey, and pesticides). Honey is generally not that dangerous. Chemical compounds are indeed taken up by plant roots in a process called “absorption”. Most common insecticides are NOT systemic. Nicotenoids and neonicoteniods are a couple of the chemical classes that ARE generally systemic and can be expressed in plant tissues (and pollen and nectar). Neonicotenoids had been banned in Europe (not sure if they still are or aren’t) in an effort to turn around dwindling pollinator numbers. However, most neonicotenoids are applied as a seed coat so that as the planted seed germinates it is protected during its cotyledon stage and on into its true-leaf stage. What is currently being studied is exactly how long these effects in plants last as concerns acute lethality to insects and the far more complicated sub-lethal effects. It all sounds very scary, but in the end after a plant has begun absorbing a chemical compound most of them are rendered innocuous by the plants’ metabolism. Past that, when nectar is fully ripened into honey it goes through a number of processes (including having a chemical consistency very similar to peroxide at a certain stage) that would further serve to breakdown many chemical compounds. I am not an advocate of wanton pesticide use, but I also hate to see people create boogeymen because they lack information on a subject. Most pesticides are NOT systemic.

There's no question that you know more about this matter than I do. However wouldn't it have been easier to simply say that the issue is inconclusive? Perhaps that will change in the future, but for now it's an unnecessary risk to feed honey that may, or may not contain insecticides to insects. Not when there's other simple solutions out there such as sugar water.

#32 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 26 2019 - 6:58 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Guys, if you have a solution that works for you, use that. It really doesn’t matter as long as your ants are doing okay. This is just a thread to kind of share different mixtures and concoctions. That’s all.
  • Nylanderiavividula likes this

#33 Offline Nylanderiavividula - Posted March 10 2019 - 7:43 AM

Nylanderiavividula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Jamiesname, my intention is not to castigate, but to educate. Most granulated sugars come from sugar cane (less and less in the US) and sweet beet varieties. If honey -“made” by bees and derived from nectar- runs the risk of containing systemic pesticides in dosage high enough to be damaging to the ants (wouldn’t the bee colony die first and the honey never make it to the shelf?) even after being processed first by the plant into nectar and then another process by the bees into honey, wouldn’t granulated sugars derived directly from plant tissues (cane and beets are farmed) be more likely to contain systemic pesticides in lethal dosages?
I do not know or have these answers, but if you are going to be afraid of honey due to the possibility of systemic pesticides, the same line of reasoning can be used to make a case against granulated sugars. I am only pointing this out.
All that being said, I am new to ant keeping and respect the information and direction of those who are more experienced in this field. Most of them on this thread have indicated that sugar water (or other mixtures made of granulated sugars dissolved in water) can be made to be more consistent in composition and performance in feeders. They have also said that honey/honey water has not shown any real benefit to colony growth over the use of sugar mixtures. So that is plenty argument enough for me to say I agree that sugar mixtures are the most-reliable bet in ant keeping.

I’ve made my living in pest-control for the past nine years and have run a side-line beekeeping business (focusing on honey production) for seven of those years. I am still doing both and maintain a keen interest in general entomology, insecticide toxicology, and all things apiculture. As you can imagine, most people find these interests contradictory, but I see that there are giant information voids where interest waynes on each side. The beekeepers aren’t interested in which chemical classes are systemic or not, only that pesticides kill bees so any and all pesticides are bad, period (you should see me trying to take part in local beeclub meetings...brutal!). And in pest control I see PLENTY of spray jockeys that don’t know a thing about basic insect biology or the importance of all or any arthropods in the globe’s ecological system, their chief concern is high lethality and residual effectiveness (you should see the looks I get from fellow CPCOs when I wax poetic about my ant colonies, apiaries, wormbed, mealworms, soldier flies, etc!). Thrown into all this confusion are consumers/laypersons! People who may want to buy all-“organic” at the store and question where your bees get their honey, but want you to use the “strongest stuff” at their home willy-nilly to nuke any and all creepy-crawleys that they might see in their driveway... For me, it is exasperating to the point that I just want to go flip rocks and logs quietly to find some ants and my equilibrium (crawling under a log, haha). Jamiesname, that is my personal perspective and I absolutely don’t want to come off as contentious because that is the fastest way to shut people down and stymie the learning process.
The best of luck to all of us in our interesting endeavors! I’ll shut up, now.
  • drtrmiller, Rstheant and Acutus like this
Camponotus castaneus
Camponotus chromaiodes (Pretty sure...)
Brachymyrmex patagonicus
Aphaenogaster sp. (I’ll be working on this species ID, soon)
Pheidole crassicornis

#34 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 10 2019 - 9:27 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
You don’t need to shut up. You’ve educated people and it’s their choice to accept what you said or deny it. Long explanations though. :lol:
  • Nylanderiavividula likes this

#35 Offline Acutus - Posted April 30 2019 - 8:07 PM

Acutus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Interesting thread for sure. I've been using some Organic Wild flower Honey and the Ants seem to do well. They just don't drink as much as the did right  after capture. I typically make tons of Sugar water as I'm a bee keeper as well but the Honey flow has started so the bees won't take it until there is a Dearth.

I don't mix the honey with water I give it to them straight. Maybe I will try some sugar water mix (I think I have humming bird nectar too and see if it makes a difference to the ants. 

Thanks ALL good stuff! :D

Billy

Currently keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes

Camponotus castaneus

Formica subsericea

#36 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted May 7 2019 - 3:08 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

All I can say is that I read some comments about how the sunburst brand ant nector was essentially just sucrose and could be made DIY. Well, I have tried a few different mixes, types of honey, hummingbird nector, etc. and I have never seen so much interest from the ants as I do when I put down a drop of Sunburst. It seems to really be attractive to the ants!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nectar, ant diet, how to make, question, hummingbird nectar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users