• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Unusual Food Products for Ants

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline thosaka - Posted March 14 2017 - 8:02 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Has anyone ever given:

Coffee

Pomegranate juice (POM Wonderful) (Slows aging through antioxidant)

Apple Juice

Milk

Red Bull/Monster (More vigilante)

Beer

Wine

Rice

Bread

Fish

Unsweetened Chocolate

Sesame Seed

Chia Seed

Cooked Oatmeal (Lowers cholesterol)

Red Bean Paste

Walnuts/Peanuts/Pecan/Almond

Olive Oil (Provides anti-inflammatory properties)

Omega 3 Fish Oil Capsule (Increased memory retention or faster brain processing)

or any other foods I have not listed?

to their ants and found out if they liked it or not?

or maybe even noticed some positive or negative effects with their ants?

I understand appetite will vary from species to species, but I still would like to know your insight/experience.

I understand our physiology is different from ants, but could there be a possibility they could gain the same benefits we do from these products.

Edited by Tagassi, March 14 2017 - 8:56 PM.

• MrPurpleB likes this

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 14 2017 - 8:08 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You might find a lot of similar information here (http://www.formicult...ood-by-species/).

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 14 2017 - 8:47 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I sometimes feed my Tetramorium sp.e colonies sesame seeds. They actually readily accept them.

#4 Offline thosaka - Posted March 14 2017 - 8:49 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

You might find a lot of similar information here (http://www.formicult...ood-by-species/).

Yeah. Thank you Drew. I saw it, but I couldn't find the more unusual products as well. I like to maybe boost or induce say faster breeding through nutrient if possible.

#5 Offline thosaka - Posted March 14 2017 - 8:51 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

I sometimes feed my Tetramorium sp.e colonies sesame seeds. They actually readily accept them.

I assume they masticate it until it is more fluid?

#6 Offline ultraex2 - Posted March 15 2017 - 10:07 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I have a camponotus nearcticus colony and I tried giving them ocean perch a couple days ago (didn't touch it).  Not sure if this counts, but I threw in a piece of caramel corn and they seem to like it a lot.

• thosaka likes this

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 15 2017 - 10:45 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I gave my ants boogers once, and they collected them, brought them into the nest, and then later used them as building materials to fortify the entrance.

Ants may respond to a number of different "foods," but really insects and Sunburst Ant Nectar (or another sugar source) are all that are necessary for colony growth.

For colonies that are refusing insects, the proper corrective action is generally not to offer other, inferior foods, but rather to wait for protein-hungry larvae to emerge, correct something in the environment (like increase temperature or provide light/darkness), or ensure the colony is well-hydrated with plenty of water and Sunburst.  Healthy colonies don't refuse regular foods.

Edited by drtrmiller, March 15 2017 - 10:45 AM.

• sgheaton and thosaka like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 15 2017 - 10:48 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I gave my ants boogers once, and they collected them, brought them into the nest, and then later used them as building materials to fortify the entrance.

doin'' the real tests for us!

• thosaka likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#9 Offline thosaka - Posted March 15 2017 - 10:53 AM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Booger?! I'd rather die than eat my booger let alone anyone else's booger. We need to give our ants royal treatment, caviar, wine, lobster and kobe beef.

#10 Offline JasonD - Posted March 15 2017 - 11:30 AM

JasonD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Careful with the coffee. Plants evolved caffeine as an insect repellent. It's also toxic to insects at high doses (and ants are really small, so a little bit goes a long way.) Best case scenario you gross your ants out, worst case you could really hurt them!

• thosaka likes this

#11 Offline Canadian anter - Posted March 15 2017 - 12:17 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Careful with the coffee. Plants evolved caffeine as an insect repellent. It's also toxic to insects at high doses (and ants are really small, so a little bit goes a long way.) Best case scenario you gross your ants out, worst case you could really hurt them!

So that's what happens to dermy's ants and not "my brother released them"
  • Martialis, Nathant2131 and thosaka like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 15 2017 - 12:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

See: https://drive.google...ew?usp=drivesdk
  • thosaka likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#13 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 15 2017 - 2:12 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I assume they masticate it until it is more fluid?

Yes, however upon doing so they divide up the small crumb-like pieces to the larvae for further processing. They will sometimes lap oils from larger chunks of the sesame seed while in the process of breaking it down into smaller pieces for the larvae.

• thosaka likes this

#14 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted March 15 2017 - 2:27 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Booger?! I'd rather die than eat my booger let alone anyone else's booger. We need to give our ants royal treatment, caviar, wine, lobster and kobe beef.

lol, mine eat like kings (which is quite ironic). As for the "booger experiment", What was the context for that!?!?! did you simply run out of tissues and just decide to wipe your snot on one of your outworlds lol. I would actually like to know. I wonder if that's weird. Anyway, my apartment is full of ants so I probably shouldn't be talking.

Here is a list of what I regularly feed my ants :

Tetramorium sp. e : mealworms / superworms cut into sections, wax worm viscera (wax worms are decapitated and then "skinned" with the use of forceps. It's not fun, but it is either my ants are them.), sesame seeds (slightly crushed), diluted honey, nectar harvested from flowers, sugar water (white sugar), sunburst ant nectar (this serves as their main source of carbohydrates), crushed "Tetramin" fish flakes (Let me explain : It is full of oils and nutrients that aid in the development of larvae and the production of eggs. they also dye the larvae orange to red in color, since I only use the orange, yellow and red ones. I give it to them on occasion as a sort of dietary supplement.), wingless fruit flies (either alive or crushed).

Lasius neoniger : : mealworms / superworms cut into sections, wax worm viscera (wax worms are decapitated and then "skinned" with the use of forceps. It's not fun, but it is either my ants are them.), diluted honey, nectar harvested from flowers, sugar water (white sugar), sunburst ant nectar (this serves as their main source of carbohydrates), Dubia roach nymphs (crushed), wingless fruit flies (either alive or crushed).

P.S. I usually have much more than these two species in stock. In short, this year was terrible in terms of the high mortality rate of newly mated queens and collecting.

Edited by ctantkeeper, March 15 2017 - 2:29 PM.

#15 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted March 15 2017 - 3:09 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Concerning the booger, I think the ants liked how sticky it was. To them it probably looked like sticky tack. Just a thought had. 

#16 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 15 2017 - 5:55 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

So that's what happens to dermy's ants and not "my brother released them"
Omg! Derry you are finally exposed! You caffeineolic!

YJK

#17 Offline Kevin - Posted March 15 2017 - 6:51 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I think it was meant as a comparison to other "foods" that the ants seem to be interested in while according to the science behind it, ants won't eat a lot of food given to them, but rather use it for something like a wall or toss it around.

Edited by Kevin, March 16 2017 - 1:21 PM.

• thosaka likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#18 Offline AURA - Posted October 31 2018 - 3:11 PM

AURA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn New York

lol boogers

#19 Offline DaveJay - Posted November 1 2018 - 8:29 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
My Camponotus consobrinus loved the fish I gave them (Hake), the Queens came out and firstly licked the juices then shredded the fish into threads for the workers to take into the nest for the larvae.
I also pick native flowers for them which they like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users