• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

665 replies to this topic

#281 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 3 2020 - 7:45 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
AC doesn’t know the definition of ‘escape’.
  • AntsMaryland likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#282 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2020 - 8:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Mikey B has kept Crematogaster before, but yeah.
  • TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#283 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 3 2020 - 9:06 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Mikey B has kept Crematogaster before, but yeah.

Was the colony a large one like yours?

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#284 Offline Canadant - Posted May 4 2020 - 3:33 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I found it nigh impossible to keep these guys in their outworld or formicarium. That's why I went part original nest in a covered outworld. So far so good but it's hard to get an idea how they're doing on the inside. Looking for a bigger outworld now.

Good luck drew. Give these guys a millimeter and its jailbreak central. I'm still finding guys in my door frame about 8 months after my mass outbreak last fall.

To cool to give up on though. Cutest ants for me. Hardy and unique.

Good luck.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#285 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2020 - 3:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank you. Yeah, no way I’m giving up on my Divas, heck no. I think they need more outworld space.
By the way, my brother found a new Crematogaster queen at a gas station today. From the time of year, I guess it is ashmeadi.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#286 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:19 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Thank you. Yeah, no way I’m giving up on my Divas, heck no. I think they need more outworld space.
By the way, my brother found a new Crematogaster queen at a gas station today. From the time of year, I guess it is ashmeadi.

Yay, the Valentines were getting lonely being the only ashmeadi in a world of cerasi. 

• ANTdrew likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#287 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 4 2020 - 4:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Am I right to assume ashmeadi?

#288 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 4 2020 - 5:19 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Am I right to assume ashmeadi?

Most likely. My queen was caught in May, and I've never known cerasi to fly this early.

• ANTdrew likes this

#289 Offline Canadant - Posted May 5 2020 - 5:51 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Drew, I'm going to buy a small aquarium for my crematogastor ants. For the small enclosure that I have now, if I open the lid uts mayhem. They just start pouring over the edge and feeding becomes less enjoyable with unwanted casualties. This small acrylic aquarium is great for my camponotus but not sure about the cremas. it'll look pretty but will they stay?

I usually put a line of packing tape around my edges and that stops the camponotus from escaping. They're so easy to contain but with the cremas I'll need to coat with ptfe (which I have). They could cross that last fall. I'll do a better application this time though.
I'll post a pick of my tape idea for my camponotus and formica ants.

So, do you think I absolutely need a lid? Bummer if I do. I looked at the godmorgon stuff on ikea. They're great but 6 weeks delivery these days and the local branch is closed.

Also, if anyone else in this thread has experience and ideas I welcome that too.

Not to hijack your thread but I know you have experience with crematogastor and this is a high traffic thread in the general ant keeping area. Just thought I'd ask.

Kinda need a new outworld soon though.

Sincerely

Canadant

Attached Images

• 20200505_104434.jpg
  • 20200505_104448.jpg

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#290 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 5 2020 - 7:03 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Mine were contained with a barrier of talc about 3 inches thick. Tape around the edge only became necessary once they hit a few thousand workers. I don't use tape like you do, but actually apply a barrier to the underside as if it were a lip. The adhesive itself is not much of a barrier. 

Edit: Not sure how any of this applies to PTFE btw, I've never used the stuff.

Edited by FeedTheAnts, May 5 2020 - 7:05 AM.

#291 Offline Canadant - Posted May 5 2020 - 7:24 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Mine were contained with a barrier of talc about 3 inches thick. Tape around the edge only became necessary once they hit a few thousand workers. I don't use tape like you do, but actually apply a barrier to the underside as if it were a lip. The adhesive itself is not much of a barrier.
Edit: Not sure how any of this applies to PTFE btw, I've never used the stuff.

I appreciate the response. I had a lot of trouble containing them before. Hmm.....

#292 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 5 2020 - 8:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks for posting. The issue I see is that where the pieces of tape meet, the sticky seam would provide them plenty of a toe-hold. I really think pro-grade lids designed for ants are the way to go. Serafine mentioned some frames designed to put on aquariums in his journal. I want to look into those.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#293 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 10 2020 - 11:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-10-2020

The title of my memoir as a Crematogaster keeper came to me this weekend: Fluon is Not Enough. As Sigyn's population continues to skyrocket, it became basically impossible for me to lift the lid of her outworld without a few ants slipping out - even though there is a thick band of fluon. I went back to the drawing board and designed my own Fort Knox level outworld that looks like this:

I used silicone to glue a thin rim of plastic a few inches below the lid as a sort of barrier before the barrier. I got the thin plastic from a large poster frame, and it was thin enough that I could actually cut it with scissors. I lined the bottom with fluon. To escape, the ants would have to scale the three inch thick band of fluon, climb 2.5 inches upside down on fluon, then get out of the snug fitting lid somehow. I'm the last person to say that this is impossible, but I think even the Divas will be hard pressed to crack this nut!

I placed the whole set up with tubing on my newly installed ant shelves. I love how it looks, especially next to my blooming calanchoe.

In the process, I got a glimpse at Sigyn's brood chamber which is stacked up behind their heat pad. Holy mother of brood!
IMG 6699

Here's hoping for at least a few more weeks of no escapees...

Attached Images

• IMG-7093.JPG

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:22 AM.

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, Boog and 4 others like this

#294 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 10 2020 - 1:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Holy mother of brood!

You could just say, "Holy Queen!"  :D

#295 Offline Canadant - Posted May 10 2020 - 2:35 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Nice! You're not whistlin' Dixie!

I see now what you mean about how they're slipping through the cover and the formicarium. They're jammed in there in the photo. These guys can really squeeze like cats if he need to.

Best of luck.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#296 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2020 - 6:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-12-2020

"O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good, for his mercy endureth forever."

It's been almost 48 hours, and I appear to have Sigyn and her Divas mercifully contained in my DIY outworld. I'm going to dub the thing my Crematogastarium. None of the workers can even reach the upside down rim, and they're not really even trying since crowding is down. I was even able to clean some of the crap out of the Nucleus foraging area because crowding is way down in there, too. It's so much fun watching the workers traverse up and down the tubing leading to the new outpost, and I'm more than happy to see some new graveyards and trash dumps forming up there instead of right next to their brood pile. Some groups of workers have started huddling up in the spaces between the rocks in the outpost, similar to the satellite groupings I see in my yard.

It's nowhere near as pretty or neat as something Boog or Dspdrew would make, but if it stops Crematogaster, then that's pretty damn good.

I feel like a big weight of Crematogaster crap has been lifted off my shoulders...

Edited by ANTdrew, May 12 2020 - 6:58 AM.

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, Boog and 2 others like this

#297 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:00 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I'm more than happy to see some new graveyards and trash dumps forming up there instead of right next to their brood pile.

Who but ants would think of putting a cemetery and garbage dump next to a daycare?  :lol:

• ANTdrew likes this

#298 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I know. Crematogaster are by far the most slovenly ants I've kept.

• AntsDakota likes this

#299 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 14 2020 - 4:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Photo Update 5-14-2020

Good morning from the desert outpost/ Crematogastarium:

Attached Images

• IMG-7133.JPG

Edited by ANTdrew, March 2 2021 - 9:24 AM.

• Canadant, Boog, DDD101DDD and 2 others like this

#300 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 14 2020 - 4:24 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

(y) Nice! how many workers do you think the colony has?

Edited by Antkid12, May 14 2020 - 4:26 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users