• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Crematogaster Divas Journal -Reboot!

antdrew crematogaster journal divas

665 replies to this topic

#521 Offline antgallery - Posted July 26 2021 - 8:06 AM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Wow I can't wait until Crematogaster starts flying! That will be awesome!

#522 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 26 2021 - 10:43 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
It would be kind of funny if you let them fly and another ant keeper ends up getting one.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#523 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 26 2021 - 12:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Any thoughts on my theories here?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#524 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 26 2021 - 2:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I know my Nylanderia vividula colony plateaued after getting their first queen alates, so maybe they have simply reached max size?

• ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#525 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 26 2021 - 3:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I know my Nylanderia vividula colony plateaued after getting their first queen alates, so maybe they have simply reached max size?

My Nylanderia also have totally plateaued. I guess it’s just part of the life cycle.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#526 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 26 2021 - 3:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, I could have put them in a formicarium half the size of the one they are in. :lol:

• ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#527 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 26 2021 - 3:50 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cheeto? Anthony? Aaron? What say you?

#528 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 26 2021 - 4:19 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I think it could be one of a few things. In some of my Crematogaster colonies, they decide to take a mid-season hibernation. This also sometimes happens with my Camponotus and Formica. I don't know why that would happen, though, because you gave them a very good hibernation, so this mini-hibernation in the middle of July would be silly.

I suppose it's worth mentioning I do kind of have a feeling that (up here in cold Wisconsin) after they get alates, they stop brood production for the year. I've noticed this as the case when I find wild colonies of Crematogaster with alates in August. Crematogaster don't seem to need a LOT of workers to defend themselves, as they are pretty good fighters, so perhaps workers are only produced prior to the flight season for each year, just enough to find food/defend for alates (I could be totally wrong). I do think they have a strict sort of life cycle centering around certain milestones such as hibernation and alate production. The fact that your queen has laid eggs is a good sign, though, that this theory is probably not correct, at least in your case.

Perhaps they just need a bit more food, or food variety.

I don't think this is a natural plateau for them, though, how many workers do you think the colony is now at? That you mentioned the queen has laid a few large egg batches makes it seem like they had just paused for the alate production, and hopefully will soon return producing more workers to give you an even bigger headache  :lol:

I love this journal, keep up the great work with these ants!

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#529 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 26 2021 - 5:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thank you for the great insights, Anthony. They do seem to have a strict timetable for brood production: lots right after hibernation, a lull, then another surge before hibernation. I think there are definitely several thousands now. I’ve been alternating mealworms and crickets for them recently, but I can aim for more variety if I can find some wild insects. Now I just need Cheeto and Aaron to chime in…

Edited by ANTdrew, July 27 2021 - 2:51 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#530 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 27 2021 - 2:10 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Alates definitely throw off worker numbers in colonies. My Pheidole pilifera, after producing alates, crashed from several hundred workers and hundreds of alates to only ~100-200 workers. They are now recovering. Alates take up a lot of resources without providing anything to the colony, so it can cause a decrease in worker numbers or brood production. If your queen has resumed laying, I wouldn't personally worry.

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#531 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 27 2021 - 2:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good to hear! Do you think the queens continue taking in lots of protein even after they eclose?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#532 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 27 2021 - 2:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Now just waiting on Aaron567… He may not read pedestrian journals like this one, though.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this

#533 Offline Lillyrose - Posted July 29 2021 - 5:07 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I am new so I'm just sharing thoughts, but to me I assumed they would have to take a break when they made alates.

When I hunt ants and brood and find alate brood I never really see any other brood with them. It's either reg or alates in the wild colonies that I've explored.

I kinda took this to me that they can really only focus on the one stage at a time. I imagine it's like those games where you save up resources to build... they saved up resources and spent them all on alates.
  • AntsMaryland, TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#534 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 29 2021 - 5:59 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I am new so I'm just sharing thoughts, but to me I assumed they would have to take a break when they made alates.

When I hunt ants and brood and find alate brood I never really see any other brood with them. It's either reg or alates in the wild colonies that I've explored.

I kinda took this to me that they can really only focus on the one stage at a time. I imagine it's like those games where you save up resources to build... they saved up resources and spent them all on alates.

That makes good sense.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#535 Offline jplelito - Posted July 29 2021 - 6:07 AM

jplelito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC USA
Another thought that occurs to me just thinking from the perspective of ant behavior - the colony more or less does what it needs to do, balancing risk and reward. So - a summer pause in brood production could be because, the colony has enough workers and senses (or assumes) a pause in resource availability. You might feed them all they want sure, but “aestivation” is common genetic programming in many insects in hot climates where there is a period in summer of typically dry conditions where Homopteran honeydew might be in short supply for example. Why waste precious energy to make a batch of workers which won’t have anything to harvest and cost a lot to make? And then of course superimpose that cycle with the annual reproductive demands and you can get some complicated mathematical relationships on what behavior(s) are most profitable at any given time. The fact is that a lot has been written on ant foraging but this hobby provides us a unique look at the same time on what brood is doing as well as seasonal cycles etc. that field observations would not so easily yield, especially in arboreal species who keep their brood 50 feet in the air. These longer term colonies like this one - which are hard work and awesome to see blogged about! - are probably teaching us quite a lot. I will be very curious to see if they do the same pattern again next year.
  • TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#536 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 29 2021 - 6:25 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I actually noticed this with Lasius colonies back in Michigan. They always had one or the other like you have described.

#537 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 30 2021 - 3:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks, Kael. These are great insights. I like how this conversation is uncovering some facets of ant behavior we don’t think about much.
  • Kaelwizard likes this

#538 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 19 2021 - 7:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 8-19-21

This colony continues to trouble me. They still have a pile of eggs, but they won't hatch, and it seems like the pile has decreased. I can only think that they are feeding new eggs to the queen alates to strengthen them?? This whole experience has really illustrated how much of a drain it is on a colony to produce alates.

IMG 0644

The queens come up and hang out in the Nucleus outworld and head back down when the sun comes up. I wish there was an easy way to remove all of them. Carrying the whole massive three piece setup outside so they could fly would be a two person job, and my wife sure as hell won't help with that. I'm still not sure what I'll do.

IMG 0641

While I was on a trip for three days, the girls staged another jailbreak. Thankfully, they escaped shortly before I got home, so not too many got out. I had to hastily seal the other side of their Nucleus glass with silicone. I had thought that side was sealed enough, but I thought wrong once again.

64954096114  150AD55B 4AA1 4D74 B82C 87333EBD684D

• nurbs, AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts and 6 others like this

#539 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 19 2021 - 7:09 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
If I wasn’t two hours away I’d give you a hand
  • ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#540 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 19 2021 - 9:50 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Maybe you could suck up the alates and some workers with an aspirater and put them in a smaller nest outside?

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antdrew, crematogaster, journal, divas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users