• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Seperated From Workers For A Long Time

help camponotus pennsylvanicus queen care

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Luvnecrosis - Posted October 19 2018 - 9:05 AM

Luvnecrosis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Good morning, afternoon, or night,

Very early this year, my students from the place where I work caught me a Camponotus Pennsylvanians queen. Things were going pretty well, until a series of very unfortunate events happened and she lost her two workers and is now by herself.

It looks like she can’t feed the new eggs enough to hatch them, and she can’t eat anything either because she panics whenever I try to do anything.

The kids caught her from a lot behind a school, and they all said that their were more ants as well. I believe that these ants were from her own colony, and so my question is this: if I were to capture some ants from that same area, would they still be loyal to her? If so, I’ll have to try.

If not, is there a way to train another worker to be loyal? I’ve read somewhere that SOMETIME, Camponotus are kinda polygynous, although queens are on complete opposite sides of the same nest.

I have another colony that is doing alright with about 13 workers, and I have considered brood boosting but that evens dangerous.

Any ideas on what I should do to keep my kids’ queen safe and alive? I’m sure she’s hungry by now because it has been at least two months with no new workers.

#2 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted October 19 2018 - 2:10 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
They might. The best thing to do would be to give her some pupae from a wild colony, or cool some workers in the fridge and then try to introduce them to her one by one. Regular workers work a lot better than soldiers for this.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, camponotus, pennsylvanicus, queen care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users