• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for Atta Texana

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline casualfriday - Posted June 26 2014 - 10:56 PM

casualfriday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to start a new colony of a fungus growing ant, mainly for my children. I have had a few colonies in the past, the longest running was about 8 years, however never leaf cutters. It was suggested on another forum that I try a Trachymyrmex . However I'm not able to find a lot of info on that species. From the pics I've seen online I think I know where a few colonies are located, and i am sure my local parks would be a good place to look. I would really like to get a few Atta Texana queens as i feel they would be better suited for the size habitat I'm building. but from what I understand Its already to late in the year.

So a few questions

1) does anyone know of any locations where i can hunt the Atta texanas? (southern Oklahoma) 

2) does anyone have information on any Trachymyrmex in this area.(mating flight times)

3) I have heard but wasn't able to confirm that it is illegal to buy queens(I could see exotic or even cross country, but what about local species?) 

Thanks for the info.  

#2 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted June 27 2014 - 4:51 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

I have no idea where you may be able to locate Atta in Oklahoma. According to the web, their range extends to the very border. I wouldn't expect to find them any more north. Your best bet would be to head to Google satellite and prepare to do some scouting of your own.

There are a few studies of keeping Trachymyrmex septentrionalis (The most predominant species) in captivity. Tarheelants has some experience with them, along with some youtube videos. They grow their fungus using insect frass, decaying plant matter, catkins, and they also cut fresh plants on occasion. Here in Florida they fly in July-August. Flights happen around mid-day, tend to be local and confined, and are conspicuous around the nest entrance. Queens are semi-claustral and therefore can be found foraging even weeks after mating. They also create a rather obvious and distinctive pile of excavated soil around their nest entrance while active above ground. The problem here is that these queens have already dug a founding chamber and deposited their bucal pellet. Without fungus, they're useless. Therefore you have to time flights perfectly and collect freshly mated queens who have not yet begun to dig.

That said, the queens only need their specific strain of fungus, not the particular piece they carried with them. Therefore foraging queens can be collected, and fungus dug up and borrowed from a mature nest. I've found most nests here tend to be dug rather deep, though, making it nearly impossible to get ahold of the fungus. However, while in North Carolina last week, I found several colonies nesting in soft ground with fungus chambers as shallow as 6 inches.

Queens are not illegal to buy. They are, however, illegal to ship/cross state lines without a permit. Someone local would be fine, it's why such a thing as AntsCanada's global ant nursery exists.

Edited by 123Lord Of Ants123, June 27 2014 - 4:55 AM.

#3 Offline casualfriday - Posted June 27 2014 - 11:49 AM

casualfriday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Yea I only know of two colonies of Atta here in oklahoma, but the new owner won't let me on there to try and get one. Its honestly the only place i have ever seen them. I also took a look at Trachymyrmex septentrionalis, I think i have a few of these in my area and might try to raise a few queens in same habitat, if I can get my hands on them that is. 

#4 Offline Mercutia - Posted June 27 2014 - 11:58 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

As far as I know, GAN doesn't have any farmers in Oklahoma. However, according to the Mating Chart, looks like Trachymyrmex septentrionalis is flying around June - August. I suppose know when they fly specifically in your location would help but I'd just keep my eyes peeled these next few months and hope you get lucky.

#5 Offline casualfriday - Posted June 27 2014 - 12:05 PM

casualfriday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I have not been able to find a farmer in Oklahoma at all. My plan is to got to the parks in the area starting next week. I really would like to start a journal about the colony, hoping my children pickup something from it. You wouldn't happen to know if there active at night or during the day would you?

#6 Offline Mercutia - Posted June 27 2014 - 6:08 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Ooohhhohhhh... no idea. xD

I honestly would suggest using some form of a queen trap if you're looking for that specific species with little information. Black lights work wonders at attracting ant alates during nuptial flights at night so attaching that to a bucket with a funneled entrance will take care of the ant hunting at night. You can release any ones you don't want. Then you just have to keep your eyes peeled during the day.

Anting is a lot of work, more than some people realize and not everyone has time to go around day and night hunting for queens. I wish people would understand this before bashing ant sellers.

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 10 2014 - 3:20 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Is Atta Texana polymorphic?

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 10 2014 - 5:08 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Yes, Atta Texana is polymorphic.

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 10 2014 - 5:40 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

that's what I thought... Just making sure. And why does it say I am offline while typing this?

#10 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 10 2014 - 5:41 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Your profile is probably set to appear offline.

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 10 2014 - 7:15 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How do I change that?

#12 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 10 2014 - 10:10 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Ehh, I'm not sure.

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2014 - 12:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think it's a box you check when you login.

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 11 2014 - 12:20 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It says "Sign in Anonymously" when I have it checked, I am offline, when I do not have it checked, I am still offline.

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2014 - 7:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

:wtf:

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 11 2014 - 11:49 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't know. Maybe we should move this discussion to Forum support...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users