• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Safe Adhesive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Desnob - Posted August 3 2015 - 1:51 PM

Desnob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Being new to the antkeeping world, I've got no idea what kind of glues are safe with ants.

Purchased an AntsCanada Hybrid Nest (would not recommend, stick to THA and Byformica) and one of its entrance/exit ports fell out when I tried to connect some tubing. Is super glue fine to use?

[Current Colony - June 26, 2015] Tetramorium sp. e 200+ workers]

Need a safe sealant for a formicarium or outworld? Buy it on Amazon

#2 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 3 2015 - 2:18 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

If you were trying to bond glass everyone would say 100% silicone. But since it sounds like you're trying to bind plastic, silicone is less effective, put perhaps not a bad option either since it's easily safe once it's cured. Maybe look for something like an aquarium acrylic adhesive or something that's aquarium safe. I can't vouch for any particular one.

Also, if you have ants already in it, it IS NOT SAFE to try to glue it while they are there. While the adhesive cures it will give off fumes that will probably be toxic and the adhesive won't be safe until about 24 hours after use in most cases.

• Desnob likes this

#3 Offline Herdo - Posted August 3 2015 - 2:41 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona
Momentive RTV108 is what most aquarium builders use. Super safe and very high quality. You can find it on Amazon.

Edited by Herdo, August 3 2015 - 2:41 PM.

• Desnob likes this

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 3 2015 - 4:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Using regular silicone to bond plastic is not going to work any better than using peanut butter. If you need a solid plastic bond, using solvent is the way to go. I'm assuming these are plastics like acrylic that will work with solvent cement. If they are not, epoxy works well and is safe. There is a silicone adhesive designed to bond plastics that Home Depot sells. I'm not sure how it works, but apparently it does.

• Desnob likes this

#5 Offline Desnob - Posted August 3 2015 - 5:05 PM

Desnob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Alright. Thanks for the info and recommendations everyone, I'll update my post when I see something that works.

[Current Colony - June 26, 2015] Tetramorium sp. e 200+ workers]

Need a safe sealant for a formicarium or outworld? Buy it on Amazon

#6 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 3 2015 - 7:15 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

For the sake of not starting a new forum, does anyone have a recommendation for grout to acrylic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users