• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Major’s Ant Journal

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Major - Posted August 19 2018 - 2:51 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
I just opened my ant/ blacklight box now that I’m in NYC.

Pretty messy I know, but no fatalities or injuries. Turns out the Formica laid eggs while they were in the box lol.
  • DaveJay likes this

#82 Offline Major - Posted August 19 2018 - 6:25 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Quick pic update:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Eggs:

Formica Subserica:

Dead queen

Tapinoma Sessile:

Temnothorax Curvispinosus:

Lasius Alenius or Neoniger?

Lasius sp.

Don’t have time for remotely good pics right now, but here’s a few quick crappy ones.
  • DaveJay likes this

#83 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 19 2018 - 8:24 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

When did the queen die?

#84 Offline Major - Posted August 20 2018 - 9:58 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

When did the queen die?

Once I opened the box yesterday she was fine, she was actually the most promising queen, very distended gaster, no injuries, wingless. I put all my colonies on the heating pad, then rechecked on them and she was dead. The heating pad was a bit hotter than usual but none of the other ants were affected. She was still twitching when I found her so I left her in the nest. The nanitics seemed to like to pull at her legs, maybe they killed her?

#85 Offline Major - Posted August 20 2018 - 12:42 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I was “anting today” in NYC and I found this really cool spider called Micranthia Gracilis. No pics but google it, looks really weird since it has a spiky shell thing.

#86 Offline rbarreto - Posted August 20 2018 - 12:54 PM

rbarreto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationOttawa, On

I think moving exotic/invasive ants across borders is the only thing people should be concerned with. Don't worry about it Major. I disagree with taking your ants with you not because you are crossing a border, but because you are causing them unnecessary stress. A small colony can go a week without food, especially if you feed them right before you leave. Also why did you take founding queens with you?

My journal featuring most of my ants.

My other journal featuring Formica Bradleyi.

Check our my store here!

#87 Offline Major - Posted August 20 2018 - 1:15 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

I think moving exotic/invasive ants across borders is the only thing people should be concerned with. Don't worry about it Major. I disagree with taking your ants with you not because you are crossing a border, but because you are causing them unnecessary stress. A small colony can go a week without food, especially if you feed them right before you leave. Also why did you take founding queens with you?

I also have a buyer who wants to see all my queens and colonies in person. I do t think that they were stressed because they were packaged very securely and some of them actually laid anew batch of eggs during the drive. No eggs were eaten. I didn't realize that if I left them for a week with some food and water that they would be fine. I won't try to pull a "stunt" like this in the future.
  • Spamdy likes this

#88 Offline DaveJay - Posted August 20 2018 - 8:07 PM

DaveJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
Once I saw your thread in the sales section it all became clear, selling them before crossing a border anyway.
Sorry to hear about the loss of the Queen though.
  • Major likes this

#89 Offline Major - Posted August 21 2018 - 6:44 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Yeah, someone in NYC wants to see ALL of my ants so he can choose in person.

I started out with 4, down to 2 queens in the Formica experiment, odds are that there will only be 1 left.
  • Spamdy and DaveJay like this

#90 Offline Major - Posted August 21 2018 - 3:45 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
:yahoo: Yes! Me and my family put an offer on a house and they accepted it! (After a counter offer which we agreed to.) We just have to sign a few more papers, get an inspection done, all that stuff. Then we are going to be renovating it and hopefully be moving in sometime in November this year. Its near a nature park and some small lakes so I bet that there will be a lot of ant diversity. I can finally get out of my small apartment! I can't wait till I move in! And, I'll actually have a backyard, which means I can blacklight without having to go to other places. Man, this is probably the best thing that's happened to me. Hopefully will find some new queens once I can move in. I can't even express how happy I am!

Edited by Major, August 26 2018 - 9:07 AM.

• Spamdy, FeedTheAnts, CoolColJ and 2 others like this

#91 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 21 2018 - 5:42 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Neat

• Major likes this

#92 Offline Major - Posted August 22 2018 - 7:42 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I will be going back to Rochester today, trip was cut a couple days. I also found a Myrmica sp. queen.

#93 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 22 2018 - 5:04 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Something terrible happened

My largest novaeboracensis colony lost 4 workers!! I boiled some sand and then added it to their setup. Then the unexpected happened. They appear to be ingesting it. So that’s how they died. I moved them to a fresh test tube and our world free of sand. They won’t stay in the test tube. They scattered their eggs and brood all over the out world. I’m probably going to release them. I also released my Aphenogaster queen as she hasn’t laid eggs in a week.

the aphaenogastor could have been waiting until after hibernation you know. also you should have given it more than a week. try to be a little more patient. (please don't take that offensively)

#94 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 22 2018 - 5:21 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I was “anting today” in NYC and I found this really cool spider called Micranthia Gracilis. No pics but google it, looks really weird since it has a spiky shell thing.

i have wanted spiders from the genus Micrathena for a while now (i also keep spiders)

#95 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 22 2018 - 5:24 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Yeah, someone in NYC wants to see ALL of my ants so he can choose in person.

I started out with 4, down to 2 queens in the Formica experiment, odds are that there will only be 1 left.

formica queens kill each other once workers hatch. you will definitely only have one queen left

#96 Offline Major - Posted August 22 2018 - 5:44 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Something terrible happened
My largest novaeboracensis colony lost 4 workers!! I boiled some sand and then added it to their setup. Then the unexpected happened. They appear to be ingesting it. So that’s how they died. I moved them to a fresh test tube and our world free of sand. They won’t stay in the test tube. They scattered their eggs and brood all over the out world. I’m probably going to release them. I also released my Aphenogaster queen as she hasn’t laid eggs in a week.

the aphaenogastor could have been waiting until after hibernation you know. also you should have given it more than a week. try to be a little more patient. (please don't take that offensively)

I realized she wasn’t Aphenogaster but Myrmica. Also, no way she was waiting for after hibernation, it was in July! I’ve had queens of this sp. for a long time, no luck. I also have kept this kind of a queen for much longer than a week and only one eggs that was later eaten.

#97 Offline Major - Posted August 22 2018 - 5:47 PM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
Welp, I’m blacklightibg right now but I guess today’s not a good day. The other day I caught 4 queens! I am also back in Rochester.

#98 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 22 2018 - 6:46 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Welp, I’m blacklightibg right now but I guess today’s not a good day. The other day I caught 4 queens! I am also back in Rochester.

What queens do you usually catch on your blacklight?

• Major likes this

#99 Offline Major - Posted August 23 2018 - 6:51 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

What queens do you usually catch on your blacklight?

This was my second time blacklighting, the first time I caught x4 Lasius sp. I didn't catch anything this time though.
  • sirjordanncurtis likes this

#100 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 23 2018 - 7:41 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

i have wanted spiders from the genus Micrathena for a while now (i also keep spiders)

I can confirm you don't want to keep those. I have LOADS of these spiders at a nearby forest and they don't do anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users