• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tubing test tube replacement?

vinly tubing test tube replacement

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Offline William. T - Posted January 15 2015 - 3:12 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Just the other day, I had a brainwave. Why not have a tubing test tube replacement?

Here are some of the cons of glass test tubes:

-They break easily.

-They are expensive.

-They roll around, causing significant stress to any colony.

-You have to switch test tubes when the water supply runs dry.

-They are heavy (in comparison).

In Home Depot or Lowe's, you can purchase 10 feet of this stuff for just 4 bucks. The PVC tubes and many others have the strength of plastic but the clarity of glass. If you turn it in a curve, it will not roll. You can stuff one end with cotton, fill with water, and stuff in more cotton, and you have a test tube replacement that can be refilled by taking the cotton at the end and add more water.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 15 2015 - 3:22 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

PVC tubing is chock full of chemicals.  Some even include lead.

While it's okay to use as connectors, I don't recommend it for use as a test tube replacement.

The visibility is poor compared to glass, also.

That said, it may work for what you describe, but it is far from ideal.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 15 2015 - 3:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Test tubes are not expensive. I do not recall, but I think 1000 glass test tubes are $80.

#4 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 15 2015 - 3:28 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Good thought direction though

#5 Offline dean_k - Posted January 15 2015 - 3:29 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

A glass lab grade test tube is around a buck each (0.85 ea in Canada). It's not that expensive.

I personally prefer a glass tube setup with a little bit of sand for a queen to hold onto. A little bit of sand will also absorb water in case of mild leak.

Edited by dean_k, January 15 2015 - 3:30 PM.

#6 Offline benjiwuf - Posted January 15 2015 - 3:34 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

if you buy more than one it also becomes cheaper from amazon or the many test tube supply companies. i paid $30 recently for a lot, and i probably will have enough test tubes for years to come without cleaning one out (not that i'll leave them dirty naturally).

#7 Offline Colophonius - Posted January 15 2015 - 3:45 PM

Colophonius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Unlike plastic test tube, glass test tube seldom get scratch marks. A plastic test tube will look horrible after a while. 

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 15 2015 - 3:45 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I've recommended people use vinyl tubing from the hardware store if they can't get their hands on test tubes. I still don't think it's ideal, especially if you can get your hands on test tubes. The majority of reason why I need to change a test tube setup is that I find the test tube gets really dirty and it was affecting the water reservoir. Less often because the water ran out.

#9 Offline William. T - Posted January 15 2015 - 6:37 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Yeah, I was also thinking about vinyl, but I currently have a LOT of fish keeping tubing. I guess will only use it to connect formicariums and outworlds.

Edited by Pheidole, January 15 2015 - 6:38 PM.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 15 2015 - 7:10 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

My main issue with this is the visibility doesn't compare to glass, and personally the curve would drive me nuts. I like them perfectly straight, because they fit next to each other very neatly, and take up little space that way. To tell the truth though, I am getting really fed up with test tubes in general for many other reasons.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#11 Offline DesertAntz - Posted January 15 2015 - 10:54 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

I too am going to look for alternatives to the test tube this upcoming ant season. I really don't like keeping ants in those things. They are convenient but I'm sure there are other options out there. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#12 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 16 2015 - 12:50 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I too am going to look for alternatives to the test tube this upcoming ant season. I really don't like keeping ants in those things. They are convenient but I'm sure there are other options out there. 

Once I get the basic working model for my new modular formicarium, I'm hoping to be able to sell little "finger" formicaries, that function the same as the larger ones I'll be selling, dirt cheap.

uc?export=view&id=0B4O2xPb2dcB_UW1Kcnlpc

The idea is that if people can get their "finger" formicaries to work as they should, then they should be comfortable thinking the larger formicarium will work for them.  

What I don't want, is someone buying a nice formicarium from me, and then their ants dying or not thriving, and blaming it on the formicarium, which is what often happens ;~)

• islandants likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#13 Offline Crystals - Posted January 16 2015 - 7:29 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

There are acrylic test tubes out there.  The local science lab has some, but I never used them.  I have also seen and used cheap plastic test tubes. 

I use the glass test tubes now as I find they have fewer flooding issues than plastic.  Visibility is also a reason to use a test tube. 

I have tried several alternatives, such as making my own version of the petri dish founding chamber (dried out too fast and had to be watered every day).

A recent one I tried has worked good so far, a tall 8" cylinder container fill 3/4 with a grout mixture with a watering chamber half way down.  The grout can hold the moisture for weeks at a time, keeping the queen on top nice and humid. Still need to provide the queen direct access to water.  Not ideal for every queen I catch, but I plan to use it for polygyne species if I stumble across a large flight.

As for rolling test tubes, I simply use a small blob of clay to prevent rolling.

Otherwise, glass test tubes are cheap, easily available online, and are more or less tested and trusted.

Some species may not do well in them, and some people have tried using agar in test tubes for those species with success (such as pogonomyrex).    http://www.formicult...et-ups/?hl=agar

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#14 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 16 2015 - 7:47 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

What is dirt cheap Miller. I feel like sometimes your idea of dirt cheap and my idea of dirt cheap are two completely different things. LOL.

Otherwise I like it. I would make a bigger sized one for larger species though. I would also wish for the water reservoir to be a bit more big, but you know me. I'm just lazy. And for the first founding month I just like to stick my queens in a drawer and forget about them.

#15 Offline William. T - Posted January 16 2015 - 12:46 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Anyone have a good source to buy test tubes? Thanks.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#16 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 16 2015 - 12:48 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
www.lcmlab.com

#17 Offline benjiwuf - Posted January 16 2015 - 1:00 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany

or amazon.com even has a nice selection if you have prime for free shipping.

#18 Offline Crystals - Posted January 16 2015 - 1:28 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Know any science teachers at a school or college?  They often give them away or trade them for a dozen donuts.

Depending how many you want, amazon or ebay are good. 

For deals on lots, look for the boxes of glass test tubes.  You can often get 125 for $40.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#19 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 16 2015 - 1:51 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I may just get a 1000 test tube set sometime, but will only need half, so I may sell some.

#20 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted January 16 2015 - 1:54 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I may just get a 1000 test tube set sometime, but will only need half, so I may sell some.

Already did :P ... where have I been for these couple days!?!?

Edited by Gaige Daughtrey, January 16 2015 - 1:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users