• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

is an ID possible?

Best Answer 123LordOfAnts123 , April 4 2018 - 5:55 AM

I believe this may be the small, grey undescribed Forelius species that has been found all over Florida. Nice find. I hope you have good luck with her!

They’re technically Forelius pruinosus, but as with the western specimens they may very well be a separate species, or at least subspecies. I’ve found queens that have appeared completely grey, to those that were bicolored with slightly lighter in color workers. Probably simple variation in color as is common in F. pruinosus, but I have noticed that these ants tend to only be found in or very close to unaltered habitat, such as scrub or sand hill. This differed from the ants I saw out west that adapted well to human disturbance.

There’s also apparently a couple, less common species of Forelius with distance morphological differences not yet given names, and best discerned under the microscope. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shifty189 - Posted April 2 2018 - 4:48 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

I know these photo's aren't very good, but they are the best that I have at the moment. In the next few days i'll take her out of the platic tube I have her in and try to take some better photo's, but until then is it even possible to confirm that this is a queen?

She was caught in South Florida, on the east coast. I found her in a park that was in a scrub forest, just before noon on April 2nd. She is 1/2 inch in length, and appears to be a dark brown

I have done this catch and observe thing with a few ants, but this is the first one that just wanted to be out of the light, and didn't really try to escape.

Mms5FyK.jpg

WKVaBuR.jpg

Cr7G1dP.jpg

b45AM3H.jpg

Thanks ahead of time for your reply.

Edited by Shifty189, April 2 2018 - 4:57 PM.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 2 2018 - 5:11 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Forelius sp. F. pruinosus, perhaps.

#3 Offline Shifty189 - Posted April 2 2018 - 5:15 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
Strangely what species isn’t as important as determining if she is a queen. Your guess?

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 2 2018 - 5:22 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Strangely what species isn’t as important as determining if she is a queen. Your guess?

Oh, my bad! She is definitely a queen, just look at those wing scars!

#5 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted April 2 2018 - 5:40 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Agree with Void.

Get there early morning after a rain the previous day to find plenty of queens; they fly early dawn.
  • VoidElecent likes this

#6 Offline Shifty189 - Posted April 2 2018 - 5:46 PM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Oh, my bad! She is definitely a queen, just look at those wing scars!

First queen! Thanks for that, I won't hold you to it until we get the better photo's

• VoidElecent likes this

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 3 2018 - 4:26 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

You should start a journal for these girls. I've always been interested in this genus.

#8 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 3 2018 - 7:09 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I believe this may be the small, grey undescribed Forelius species that has been found all over Florida. Nice find. I hope you have good luck with her!

Edited by Aaron567, April 3 2018 - 7:09 PM.

#9 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted April 4 2018 - 5:55 AM   Best Answer

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

They’re technically Forelius pruinosus, but as with the western specimens they may very well be a separate species, or at least subspecies. I’ve found queens that have appeared completely grey, to those that were bicolored with slightly lighter in color workers. Probably simple variation in color as is common in F. pruinosus, but I have noticed that these ants tend to only be found in or very close to unaltered habitat, such as scrub or sand hill. This differed from the ants I saw out west that adapted well to human disturbance.

There’s also apparently a couple, less common species of Forelius with distance morphological differences not yet given names, and best discerned under the microscope.
  • Shifty189 likes this

#10 Offline Shifty189 - Posted April 4 2018 - 6:19 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
Wow I am amazed that this is actually a queen. I am definitely keeping a journal on her, but won’t make it public until she has a few workers.

Thanks everyone for the support here. I’ll be updating some photos in the next few days. I don’t want to stress her out much before then

#11 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted April 4 2018 - 6:34 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
I should note that these ants are often difficult to start, the queens skittish and fond of eating their brood. Heat is essential in brood development. Their eggs will sit and do nothing at 75 degrees while I’ve had fair growth above 80. They’re perhaps the most heat tolerant of all Florida ants; workers will be out in full force zipping about at full speed when temperatures are too hot even for Pogonomyrmex.
  • VoidElecent likes this

#12 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 4 2018 - 8:30 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

I should note that these ants are often difficult to start, the queens skittish and fond of eating their brood. Heat is essential in brood development. Their eggs will sit and do nothing at 75 degrees while I’ve had fair growth above 80. They’re perhaps the most heat tolerant of all Florida ants; workers will be out in full force zipping about at full speed when temperatures are too hot even for Pogonomyrmex.

I have previously kept several colonies of the same species; they were surprisingly easy to found, but their colonies didn't thrive. I purchased a heating lamp when they had 5-10 workers each, but their colonies seemed to slowly dwindle upon exposure. I also believe I went on vacation for a short period of time and was unable to monitor their progress; so their demise may have been a product of carbon monoxide suffocation or a lack of essential nutrition. I'd recommend keeping a close eye on them; nanitics are very small, which can make early-stage care slightly difficult. If they succeed, do document the processes in detail, if possible.

Edited by VoidElecent, April 4 2018 - 8:31 AM.

#13 Offline Shifty189 - Posted April 4 2018 - 9:26 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
Thanks for the advise. I’m finding it difficult to find information on there ants. Even the basic stuff like are they fully claustral or not.

From what you two have told me, I think the hardest part may be leaving them alone and getting them hot enough. I currently have her on my porch in a closed cabinet. What do you think about his set up? Also she is in a test tube set up, I’m worried there may be to much moisture for her.

Thanks again everyone for all the good advice.

#14 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 4 2018 - 3:12 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

or at least subspecies.

Oh god no the "S: word.

#15 Offline AntsClaifornia - Posted April 13 2018 - 2:09 AM

AntsClaifornia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Judging by the gaster :understand:  :understand: . I believe you have the highly invasive Linepithema humile or Argentine ant...  You need to help her out with some workers where ever you found her... They don't have mating flights like most ants. They mate with in their nest and can have giant super colonies with over a 100 queens. I would go back get some workers/brood/queens

to boost her growth (leave them in the fridge for 20 mins before adding your queen) .There is a bit of a chance they will attack her... It would have been best if you had garbed some ants she was with... If you found her walking outside exposed, she most likely had a large amount of workers that would have helped her start her satellite nest.

3R29gUA.png

IxtGB81.jpg

Edited by AntsClaifornia, April 13 2018 - 2:13 AM.

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 13 2018 - 4:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Did you actually use a ruler to measure this queen?

#17 Offline Shifty189 - Posted April 13 2018 - 11:20 AM

Shifty189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Judging by the gaster :understand:  :understand: . I believe you have the highly invasive Linepithema humile or Argentine ant...  You need to help her out with some workers where ever you found her... They don't have mating flights like most ants. They mate with in their nest and can have giant super colonies with over a 100 queens. I would go back get some workers/brood/queens

to boost her growth (leave them in the fridge for 20 mins before adding your queen) .There is a bit of a chance they will attack her... It would have been best if you had garbed some ants she was with... If you found her walking outside exposed, she most likely had a large amount of workers that would have helped her start her satellite nest.

3R29gUA.png

IxtGB81.jpg

She may have had some workers with her, but i don't think so. I appreciate the advice here, but this queen died 2 days after i found her without laying any eggs :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users