• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Interesting video I found on polyergus

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 17 2020 - 5:04 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Here is a very interesting vid on slave makers for you all to enjoy:

Edited by Manitobant, January 17 2020 - 5:05 PM.

• Ferox_Formicae, Pumpkin_Loves_Ants and OhNoNotAgain like this

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 17 2020 - 5:09 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Here is a very interesting vid on slave makers for you all to enjoy:

I love Deep Look. They also made a video about Atta cephalotes, a bicolored tropical Pheidole species, ant they helped It's Okay to Be Smart make a video on Azteca and Pseudomyrmex.

• Manitobant likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 18 2020 - 4:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Here is a very interesting vid on slave makers for you all to enjoy

I found a queen last autumn, right before winter. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to any Formica workers, and it was getting cold and all colonies were in hibernation, so she died......   :*(

Edited by AntsDakota, January 18 2020 - 4:33 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline madbiologist - Posted January 30 2020 - 3:45 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I found a queen last autumn, right before winter. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to any Formica workers, and it was getting cold and all colonies were in hibernation, so she died...... :*(
To my knowledge, US Polyergus have never been successfully kept in captivity, and you would need access to a massive amount of formica brood/workers to even try. Combined with the 1/12 acceptance rate between queens and workers, it's near impossible to do. Plus many species are on the endangered species list, so it's safer to steer clear of them

Edited by madbiologist, January 30 2020 - 3:46 PM.

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 30 2020 - 3:47 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It would be a nice experiment, though. People have tried it.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:01 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

I found a queen last autumn, right before winter. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to any Formica workers, and it was getting cold and all colonies were in hibernation, so she died...... :*(
To my knowledge, US Polyergus have never been successfully kept in captivity, and you would need access to a massive amount of formica brood/workers to even try. Combined with the 1/12 acceptance rate between queens and workers, it's near impossible to do. Plus many species are on the endangered species list, so it's safer to steer clear of them
I know many people who have successfully kept them and polyergus arent endangered to my knowledge.

Edited by Manitobant, January 30 2020 - 5:02 PM.

#7 Offline madbiologist - Posted January 30 2020 - 5:04 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I know many people who have successfully kept them and polyergus arent endangered to my knowledge.
In the US? And the only Polyergus species in my state is Polyergus lucidus, which is most certainly on the endangered species list.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 31 2020 - 8:31 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
I'm talking about Mexicanus which isn't endangered, and most of the people who keep em are in Europe but there are a few Americans

Edited by Manitobant, January 31 2020 - 8:32 AM.

#9 Offline madbiologist - Posted January 31 2020 - 11:33 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I'm talking about Mexicanus which isn't endangered, and most of the people who keep em are in Europe but there are a few Americans

Do you have a link to a journal/video?

• Manitobant likes this

#10 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted January 31 2020 - 2:33 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Polyergus mexicanus is relatively new, and recently separated from Polyergus breviceps which is a threatened species. I would say it's more than likely that due to them being a new species, they have not yet been assessed. 

My furthest luck with Polyergus was my first and only try, which involved a Polyergus breviceps queen being introduced to some Formica montana workers. They got along and ate together, but one of the workers died and the queen died after a few days for seemingly no reason. She died biting the cotton, with her workers standing idly around her. 

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 2 2020 - 3:59 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Do you have a link to a journal/video?

#12 Offline Technomyrmex - Posted February 12 2020 - 12:30 PM

Technomyrmex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Awesome video! Love this series. Really interesting how some species evolved to be entirely dependent on a host species!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users