I've been putting off this ID request for so long my queen had her first workers! Oops.
Unless otherwise specified, the descriptions apply to both the queen and the workers.
1. Location of collection: Pool in Grand Terrace, CA
2. Date of collection: Jan 12, 2018
3. Habitat of collection: "Oasis" suburban area, lots of greenery surrounded by sandy ground with very little water
4. Length: Roughly 10mm (1cm-ish)
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Dark brown/red, light fuzz
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Squarish head, two petiole nodes, Workers have teardrop-shaped gasters
7. Distinguishing behavior: Queen is pretty bold compared to her workers, Workers near-constantly vibrate gasters when disturbed
8. Nest description: N/A
9. Nuptial flight time and date: Jan 12, sometime late afternoon
(the black rings in the pictures are my macgyvered micro 'lens', ahah)