• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#361 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted January 20 2019 - 6:57 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

P. Imparis?

Plants r cool

#362 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted January 20 2019 - 7:45 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

P. Imparis?

yeah

#363 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 21 2019 - 9:47 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area, CA

Just caught a queen, thanks to Derpy's help. The weather's a little on and off today, so tomorrow might have larger results.

It’s not even warm though

#364 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 21 2019 - 11:32 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yeah, I think that the humidity from the incoming rain triggered it. This weekend and next week should have some flights.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#365 Offline Rstheant - Posted January 21 2019 - 11:44 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Hey guys! I found a Prenolepis imparis queen on accident. I thought it was a fly and was about to step on it when I thought I’d give it a closer look. And what do you know!!?

#366 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted January 24 2019 - 5:40 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

My colony of C. modoc, 5 workers, is starting to forage. Should I take them out of hibernation now?

Plants r cool

#367 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 24 2019 - 5:51 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

My colony of C. modoc, 5 workers, is starting to forage. Should I take them out of hibernation now?

Depends when you put them in. If it's been 3 months, then you most definitely can.

#368 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 26 2019 - 1:37 AM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
I think I missed the winter ant flights lol

#369 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 26 2019 - 10:16 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Nah, they haven't had their big flights yet.

#370 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 26 2019 - 8:38 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Nah, they haven't had their big flights yet.

Alright good

#371 Offline Antking123 - Posted January 27 2019 - 6:48 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

Well after like 7 months my F. Moki colonies are finally laying eggs so I guess all ants are out of hibernation now and reproducing.

#372 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 27 2019 - 6:53 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Small Prenolepis flight, 3 queens. When the first heatwave of the year hits they will hopefully fly in much larger numbers like last year.

#373 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted January 27 2019 - 10:04 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

Doesn't seem like there'll be much in the next week though

#374 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 28 2019 - 3:25 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
5+ queens in the past 20 mins. Prenolepis flying!

#375 Offline Antking123 - Posted January 28 2019 - 6:43 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

Where like a public park or something in the Bay Area I've only been seeing winged males walking around

#376 Offline Antking123 - Posted January 28 2019 - 6:47 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

Probably going to just walk around WVC all noon tomorrow to see if they are still flying 

#377 Offline FSTP - Posted January 28 2019 - 10:48 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

well for those of you that come across a huge horde of dealate queens make sure you grab as many as you can, becasue IDK if I'm going to have any luck and I'd like to buy some off you.

• YsTheAnt likes this

#378 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 29 2019 - 6:05 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
YS, I like how you can walk into a nuptial flight and find 5 queens in 20 minutes, but when I do it I find 2 males that land on the ground.

#379 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 29 2019 - 6:19 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

YS, I like how you can walk into a nuptial flight and find 5 queens in 20 minutes, but when I do it I find 2 males that land on the ground.

:lol: I'll tell you how I do it. First, locate the 'swarm zones'. Males are everywhere during the flights but you need to locate the places where queens are flying to. I find them by looking for a large concentration of males and the glittering of their wings.

While males will be common everywhere during flights, swarm zones will have MANY more males. Note that some places even with a high concentration of males don't have queens flying to them, so look for multiple.

Last year there was a huge one in the parking lot of my spot that yielded tons of queens. This year I only found one queen and a handful of males there, but there was a new, larger swarm 20 or so yards away. They aren't in the same place all the time.

I try to find at least two of these areas. Then, I walk between them and catch any queens I find. Queens in smaller flights come every five or so minutes to each swarm, so the more swarms you find the better. I then just loop around repeatedly until I find some queens.

Last year, they flew in HUGE numbers for a few days when it reached 72F. I hope when it warms up even more there will be similar flights. They are definitely not over so keep an eye out!

Edited by YsTheAnt, January 29 2019 - 6:20 PM.

• FSTP likes this

#380 Offline Jadeninja9 - Posted January 29 2019 - 6:45 PM

Jadeninja9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

:lol: I'll tell you how I do it. First, locate the 'swarm zones'. Males are everywhere during the flights but you need to locate the places where queens are flying to. I find them by looking for a large concentration of males and the glittering of their wings.

While males will be common everywhere during flights, swarm zones will have MANY more males. Note that some places even with a high concentration of males don't have queens flying to them, so look for multiple.

Last year there was a huge one in the parking lot of my spot that yielded tons of queens. This year I only found one queen and a handful of males there, but there was a new, larger swarm 20 or so yards away. They aren't in the same place all the time.

I try to find at least two of these areas. Then, I walk between them and catch any queens I find. Queens in smaller flights come every five or so minutes to each swarm, so the more swarms you find the better. I then just loop around repeatedly until I find some queens.

Last year, they flew in HUGE numbers for a few days when it reached 72F. I hope when it warms up even more there will be similar flights. They are definitely not over so keep an eye out!

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users