• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Insects at the Cincinnati Zoo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Martialis - Posted January 7 2018 - 7:57 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Today I went to the Cincinnati Zoo and visited their esteemed insect exhibit. It is one of only two zoo-owned areas in the entire U.S. to host exotic insects. While there, I saw many interesting species. Here are some pictures of the ones I thought were most interesting. Sorry about the grainy nature of many of the pictures (ants are small :P)

Atta cephalotes - Leafcutter Ants

Here you can see some cutting a leaf. The major is using its scissor-like mandibles to slice through the fibres so it can carry it to the nest.

HrVJYbr.jpg

Leaves being carried back to the nest by smaller workers. Once there, an even smaller caste will process them into fertilizer.

A view inside the nest. In the middle of the picture is a supermajor larva. When an adult, this giant will act as a guard and defend its nest from any invaders seeking to pillage it. There are several of the minima and supermajor adults in this picture, too, with the minima being the processors of fresh leaves.

A close-up of a section of the nest. In this picture, you can see all but the reproductive castes present!

gPIZ.jpg

gPIZ.jpg

Another close-up shot.

Pheidole rhea - Big-headed Ants

Here is the entrance to their nest. This massive colony surely had at least 1,000 workers and - while not nearly as polymorphic as the leafcutters - definitely have the castes to match their prowess.

In this photo, you can see a smaller major and worker  foraging for seeds in their outworld. 

While not the best photo, this picture flaunts the absolute massive size of this colony. Despite only being a few millimeters in length each, they have occupied a habitat millions of times their individual size.

This is the chamber to which many of the seeds are taken to store for later consumption. When they are to be eaten, a major will assist with the removal of the husk and it will be distributed.

Here you can see the brood. At the bottom, there are many of the brood characteristic of the myrmecine species, lacking any sort of covering whatsoever.

Neoponera villosa - False Bullet Ants

Unfortunately, they were nesting in a piece of wood, so I do not have any pictures of their nest. I do, however, have several pictures of them foraging throughout their enclosure.

ivdwM5u.jpg

An individual worker

Carrying a dead worker

yMOltVP.jpg

Another individual worker, this time with a dead cricket. She had been attacking it with her mandibles, as it continued to twitch for a while.

Lethocerus medius - Giant Water Bug

This gigantic hemiopteran is found throughout the Southeastern United States and is known for its incredibly painful bite, which it uses to catch insects, arthropods, and even small fish! 

This is actually a male water bug, carrying dutifully the eggs of the female who laid them there. He will take care of these and the nymphs which hatch from them until they are capable of catching their own meals.

Hope you enjoyed! :)

A few more pictures here: https://imgur.com/gallery/fyekz

Edited by Martialis, January 7 2018 - 8:19 PM.

• dermy, noebl1 and T.C. like this
Spoiler

#2 Offline dermy - Posted January 7 2018 - 8:50 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Cool I haven't been to a building like that in forever, we have one in Edmonton not far from here that has bugs and stuff, obviously nothing like you guys have but they do have some pretty interesting stuff.

• Martialis likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted January 7 2018 - 8:52 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Yeah, well you can't fool me. I know these are your ants that you where dying to share. But you knew you coudn't because they where illegally imported. So you thought up this scheme. Oh, how did I now? Just a hunch!

Just kidding, pretty cool stuff.

Edited by T.C., January 7 2018 - 11:15 PM.

• Martialis likes this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#4 Offline opezskiller - Posted January 7 2018 - 8:55 PM

opezskiller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationVentura County (area) California

Sick

#5 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 8 2018 - 5:57 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Oh my god, the Cincinnati Zoo. I used to live in Cincinnati, and I would go there all the time. Those pics are bringing back memories :)

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 13 2018 - 5:40 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Number of years ago, I met up with Randy Morgan while he was collecting material for the insect zoo there. Cool guy.

• Martialis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users